Late 2008 MBP Random Shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by airwalke, Mar 14, 2011.

1. airwalke macrumors member

Random is the best way to describe it, indeed!

Battery is pretty much shot... I mostly use it at my desk right now, so it stays plugged in. Rather disappointed in the battery.. it started having capacity issues around month 13 of owning said computer (but the battery had about 5 cycles on it when I first purchased it, so I didn't think much of it.) I didn't purchase the extended warranty, and so far I've lucked out, excepting the battery.

Normally I run Windows 7 under Boot Camp on it when I play games, and use Mac OS X for my productivity apps... with the majority of its use being for gaming Windows side. I run my laptop on a cooling stand with fans 100% of the time that I am gaming, so I'm able to keep temperatures under control.

So, today I was playing StarCraft 2, and BAM my laptop shut down on me without warning. I cursed to myself because I thought I'd forgotten to plug in my laptop again... but then I noticed power cord was still connected! Overheated? I thought. Checked the temperature of the keyboard and underneath the computer... nothing out of the ordinary. It was hot, but not the scalding hot that I've felt when it did manage to overheat.

I guess my question would be... how does the MBP's power management work under Windows? I thought I'd seen somewhere that the newer MBPs don't run on battery when they're fully charged, and instead draw power straight from the power cord. Does it work any differently through Boot Camp?

My initial theory is that the battery's power was being drained faster than the power cord could charge it by playing a CPU/GPU intensive game, but if that were the case, shouldn't the power cord be providing enough power to stay on?

Not quite sure what happened. About to go play some more games to see if I can get it to happen again. This is the first time I've ever had a random shutdown like this that wasn't because it was running on battery or that it had overheated. Any thoughts?

2. airwalke thread starter macrumors member

Yep, booted up Team Fortress 2... same deal. 5 minutes into playing, computer shuts down. Windows 7 says there is 91% battery available, which is no surprise, considering the capacity of my battery...

3. airwalke thread starter macrumors member

Hookay. Back on OS X, have the graphics set for Better Battery Life, and my CPU appears to be sitting around 68º C, going up to 72º at times while just surfing the web. And it's not that hot at all to the touch. Perhaps the temperature sensor is WAY off and is thinking my CPU is heating up to ungodly levels when it's under a full load...

4. akicebear macrumors newbie

I've been seeing something similar with mine, particularly gaming in Windows. Shuts down very quickly - within about 20 minutes. Typically hot by that point, but used to chug through that for hours. Normal operations work without issue... Hope someone can shed some light.

5. airwalke thread starter macrumors member

Opened up my case for the first time since I got it, found a good bit of cat hair clogging the fans. I took out the fans and got a bunch of that out. I've been running the fans using smcFanControl at 6000 RPM, and ever since then it's been idling at 30º C. Much more normal now it seems.

About to hop over to Windows to see how it stands the test in gaming again... maybe it really was a bunch of hair/dust build-up that was throwing off the sensors?

6. airwalke thread starter macrumors member

Welp, fans going full tilt, and I even had RealTemp set an alarm if it went over 100. Middle of a SC2 game, bam, computer dies. I want to say it's the temperature sensor, but I'm just ever so curious about this battery.