Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vdubbeet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Not sure if it is a hinge problem or a screen problem however, I wondered if replacing this might work: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...+Early+2009+Display+Asse mbly+Replacement/837 I've read in 2011-2013 Apple replaced some screens/hinges for people who have had the issue. My issue started in early 2014. Went to the Apple Store and they said it was a vintage product & they don't even carry the parts any longer. I even went to 2 local, authorized repair facilities & they suggested buying a new MBP as they didn't have the replacement available either. Funny, I found replacements relatively quickly online and would have to just replace it myself. Any advice would be helpful except the binder clip option as I want to sell the MBP within the next week. I'm okay with replacing the display assembly if that will fix the issue. Thanks much.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
We can't help.....

Not sure if it is a hinge problem or a screen problem however, I wondered if replacing this might work: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...+Early+2009+Display+Asse mbly+Replacement/837 I've read in 2011-2013 Apple replaced some screens/hinges for people who have had the issue. My issue started in early 2014. Went to the Apple Store and they said it was a vintage product & they don't even carry the parts any longer. I even went to 2 local, authorized repair facilities & they suggested buying a new MBP as they didn't have the replacement available either. Funny, I found replacements relatively quickly online and would have to just replace it myself. Any advice would be helpful except the binder clip option as I want to sell the MBP within the next week. I'm okay with replacing the display assembly if that will fix the issue. Thanks much.

You have not even given us a cursory description of the issue at hand, screen separating could mean anything.

Any expensive repairs on a machine that old is becoming a close call as it is easy to spend more than the computer is worth fixing it, only for a hard drive or logic board to go in the next few months.

If you think you can replace the screen assembly and the part is cheap and you think it will fix the issue then why not. Be aware that 7 years is towards the end of the shelf life of any laptop though....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.