Late-2008 MBP screen unglued, screen cracked

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ezsobre, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ezsobre macrumors member

I was sitting with my 15-inch, late-2008, MBP in my lap this morning when the screen just buckled over, into the closed position. The back of the screen housing looks like it became unglued adn you can stick your finger in there all along the base. The lower left portion of the glass covering the lcd screen on the front, which seems to be the pressure point of the buckling, also cracked, spidering the left half of the screen. It definitely looks like the glue just got worn out, and that does seem to be a focal point for heat when the computer is running full bore.

I've searched this site and many others, and this seems to be a recurring problem for many. I'm not in warranty. What are my options? Will they replace this at apple sans applecare? I've seen many others say they found success that way. If not, what sort of epoxy to use to self-repair?

For images--looks sort of like this, but less extreme than say, the third picture here.

I should add that this is quite sudden. Computer has had no problems until now. I've taken impeccable care. No drops. Just worn glue...

Thanks

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a