Late 2008 MBP - Side Battery Meter Not Working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StarStrike, Dec 27, 2008.

1. StarStrike macrumors member

Hello,

I've been lurking these forums everyday since August in anticipation for the new MBPs - my first Mac. From the day I got it, it has given me no problems - I couldn't have been any happier! However, recently I've run into a minor (but rather annoying) problem. The battery meter on the side of my computer doesn't work any more! When I press the button I see nothing lighting up!

You guys have any ideas as to what is wrong with my MBP? (hardware problem? perhaps I changed some software settings accidently?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

StarStrike

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

There could be several reasons for this. Start with a restart of the Mac, if that does not work, calibrate your battery, if that doesn't work, shut down the Mac and take out the battery. If that doesn't work, you can try a fresh os install, or ask a genius.

3. StarStrike thread starter macrumors member

I've already tried restarting/shutting down my Mac and have also tried reseating my battery (if that's what you meant?).

I'm going to try and drain my battery and recharge it to see if that changes anything. I've tried googling this problem and it seems nobody else has really experienced this sort of problem.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help btw :)

4. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

When he said re-calibrating, he was referring to what you just mentioned; draining till shutoff, then charging.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If a battery drain doesn't work then it could be an internal connection problem, such as plate oxidation, ive had people ask me about this before, just take it to your Genius Bar they'll fix it quickly.

6. StarStrike thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the battery drain didn't work. I guess it has to be some sort of connection/electrical problem then? If there's nothing else I can do I'll head down to the Apple store in a few days to get it sorted out. Hopefully its quick and painless since I rely on this computer heavily for school...

Thanks guys!

StarStrike

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Assuming you are still in your initial 14 days, I would not exchange it for this problem. I've had my unibody MBP since Oct 16th and I have looked at the battery indicator on the side 1 time. It is not very important.

8. StarStrike thread starter macrumors member

The battery meter for me is convenient as it saves time (I'm always on the go or using it at school). Hopefully they will replace this if it can't be fixed at the Apple store...