Late 2008 MBP: Strength of lid magnet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nautigar, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Nautigar macrumors regular

Hello all,

a short question regarding the magnet(s) that hold the lid in the late 2008 Macbook Pros: Is the magnet supposed to be strong enough to hold the lid no matter what position the notebook is in, i.e. even if it is turned around the hinge axis or held entirely upside down?

OK, I admit that it is very difficult to hold a closed MBP without touching the lid, but the question is not entirely theoretical since situations like this arise when the notebook is carried in a backpack without an extra protective sleeve. (Yes, I know I should not do this. :))

Thanks in advance!

2. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

The lid will open if the MPB is help upside down. If it's held on its hinge it will usually remain closed unless your hinge is very loose. Hope this helps.

3. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

i had my white remote placed on top of the lcd... great holding place for it when the lid is open, works like charm, just gotta becareful as not to scratch the screen, rubber bazel...

4. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Sometimes when opening the lid, I have to hold the back of the MBP because it is so strong that I push back the laptop when trying to open it, hehe.