late 2008 Mbp wifi issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by delToros, Jul 2, 2013.

1. delToros macrumors member

Hi everyone! Would be really glad if you could help me..

I have mbp late 2008 (10.7.5, 5,1) and (newlly installed) wifi connection 50 mbps. But I can't get speed above 20-23 mbps on wifi.

On ethernet cable it works fine.
    On ipad3 it works fine
    On 2006 mbp it works fine!
    (all tested in same room)

I've tried:
    1) Remove and Re-Add The WiFi Service

2) Reset PRAM (Command, Option, P and R keys before the grey screen appears) and SMC (Shift + Control + Option keys and the power button at the same time + power button 5 sec with no cable or battery)

3) change all possible router settings (2.4 to 5 Ghz, tried all channels). But since other devices work fine, I assume that the router is not the problem

4) restore priviliges (I've read somewhere in the web that it could help)

It just seems that it has some sort of speed lock. Could it be such thing? Or there are any other ways to resolve that issue.

Thank you very much!!!

2. sofianito, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Which WIFI bandwidth are you using G (up to 54 mbps/s) or N (up to 300-450 mbps)?

Be aware that these speeds are theoretical and you'll likely get less than half of the speed. Also, activating Wifi security, which is highly recommended, reduces even more the speed...

I have too a late MBP 2008 running 10.7.5 and a 100mbps FTTH. My router is RT-N66U (Running DD-WRT firmware) which theoretically could achieve up to 450mbps within both 802.11n bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) at the same time. I get the following results:

WIFI Security: WPA2 personal (AES)
    2.4Ghz:
    [​IMG]

5Ghz:
    [​IMG]

WIFI Security: Disabled
    2.4Ghz:
    [​IMG]

5Ghz:
    [​IMG]

HTH.

3. delToros thread starter macrumors member

Hi! I'm using .11g. But I use it on all tested devices! 2006 mbp gives about 40mbps, when my mac gives only about 20. In the same room, in the same time. It can't get pass 20 mbps as if it some sort of block.. Even bearing in mind about theoretical speeds, it shoud pass that limit. And you have in general better speeds with 5ghz. I have the same 20mbp

4. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Have you tried to disconnect all WiFi clients before testing with your 2008 MBP?

5. Buckaye macrumors member

+1

easy way to test it without other clients is to temporarily rename your SSID and connect to it with only you MBP 2008. Even if you don't think there's a lot of things downloading - it's the only way to know for sure if your fighting with other wifi devices or not.

6. ballpointmusic macrumors newbie

Apparently I am not alone in my quest for better wifi transmit rates.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1604776

Have you tried to option-click the WiFi icon in your menubar? It should return more detailed information, among which the transmit rate will tell you something about your network speed (as perceived by your MBP).

[​IMG]

"Velocità di trasmissione" stands for "transmit rate" in Italian.