Late 2008 MBP will not automatically go to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murc585, May 9, 2009.

1. murc585 macrumors regular

I'm having an issue with my MBP not going to sleep with the lid open. I have had many other Macs and have never has trouble with them going to sleep.

I have set mine for the display to turn off after 10 minutes and for the computer to sleep after 15 min. I'd like to use as little power as possible and I'd last the laptop to last a long time but if I forget to close the lid, I can guarantee that it will not go to sleep. I usually put on a movie with quicktime (perian codecs) before bed and I'd expect it to turn off 15 minutes after the movie, is that what it should do?

I have no other third-party apps running in the background unless the weather channel widget would cause this.

In Windows 7 I have zero issues with this, it'll sleep after 15 minutes no problem, anybody else having this issue?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Aside from any potential keyboard/mice attached do you have any other USB devices attached to the computer. Sometimes those devices can interfere with the MBP's ability to go into sleep mode.

3. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

yes, i have an external hard drive (that's where the movies I watch are on) and a simple logitech mouse. This will also happen with only the power plugged in.

4. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Just pushing up this thread because I have the same problem.

My late 2008 MBP does not sleep any more automatically. Both on power and on battery. No external stuff attached.

Any solution?

5. jgo78 macrumors 6502

i know i have this problem if firefox is running. If i turn firefox off, it will sleep no problem.

6. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I tested several suspicious applications, but none of them seems to be the cause.

Furthermore, my MBP won't sleep even if there are basically no applications running.

-- thistle

7. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

same, i've reformatted too and still no luck. I'll have to call apple once I have the money for applecare