Late 2008 MBP will read CDs under OS X but ejects them under Windows 7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tachion, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Tachion macrumors member

I've noticed something particularly odd...

I was trying to install a game (Doom 3) while running Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) on my late 2008 MBP today. I inserted the disc, it spins and attempts to read it for about a minute, then ejects the disk. Cleaned the disk, etc. and it does the same thing.

Frustrated, I try it in my old, Windows-based laptop and it reads fine. Figuring I might as well try a shot in the dark, I boot into OS X just to see if there's any chance I can read the disc. I put it in and it immediately reads and mounts it with no issue whatsoever.

Boot back into Windows 7, and the CD mounts and loads (having previously been mounted and loaded under OS X without ejecting it, mind you). On a hunch, I eject the disc and re-insert it while still in Windows, and it refuses to read/mount the disc again, just ejecting it.

This is extremely bizzare to me, as it is a "Windows" CD that isn't even scratched, but the only way the SuperDrive will accept it is under OS X.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. Tachion thread starter macrumors member

Not just this CD, unfortunately. It's happened with a couple others as well, but others work just fine under both OSes.

It's completely non-sensical and then only thing I can think of is crappy SuperDrive drivers for Boot Camp...

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Most likely the crappy SuperDrive (probably not drivers). Try make sure the disc isn't dusty or dirty (based on my personal experience, the SuperDrive is sensitive to being dirty - won't read) and/or take a can of compressed air and spray the SuperDrive.

Good luck.

5. pirateyarrr macrumors regular

pirateyarrr

Apple has not released a version of Bootcamp that is officially compatible with Windows 7. They originally promised to have that out by 12/31/09 but apparently have missed that target.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920

Many people, of course, have been running Windows 7 with the current version of Bootcamp, with varying levels of success, and most of what I've read agrees that while it works on the surface, there can be (and are) various things that don't work, such as your CD problem.

6. pirateyarrr macrumors regular

pirateyarrr

Maybe you missed the part where he said it mounts fine in the Superdrive when OS X is booted.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I got it but like I said, personal experience it has happened to me before. Things that work in OS X sometimes don't work in Windows and vice versa. I've had nothing but problems with the SuperDrive in the times that I've actually used it. I had a copy of CS4 that was read in Windows but wouldn't mount in OS X. It would spin for a few minutes trying to read it but eventually it ejected it. Wiped the disc reinserted it and it worked. Again, SuperDrive is very fragile/sensitive.

Doubt it's a software thing. There really isn't a specific driver for optical drives and for the most part it's probably generic regardless of which company it's from. If it was a driver thing, we should see more people with the problem.

8. Tachion thread starter macrumors member

I bought a $10 "Cleaning CD" at Staples today, popped it in, loaded the audio track in iTunes, and let it do it's thing.

Windows 7 reads the CD fine, now!

I guess Windows 7 is just more sensitive at reading discs when it comes to a dirty lens or something. *shrugs* Oh well. I'm just glad the drive itself isn't bad.

Thanks for the help, everyone.