Late 2008 MPB black screen crash on boot camp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mozzize, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Mozzize macrumors newbie

Back again guys, different problem this time...:mad:

Right, have been xp boot camp gaming on my late 2008 MBP for a few hours today and had 2 black screen crashes. I checked on the Apple support forums and a few other people have had this problem. I ordered the laptop almost as soon as they were announced last month so it must be one of the first few models.

Anybody else had this problem? And if I end up returning it (bought from the Apple uk website) how would I go about it?

2. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I had intermittent crashes while gaming on my late08 mbp as well.
    I figure that it was due to overheating since the laptop was almost red hot.
    I bought a cooling pad for my MBP (Bytecc aluminum cooling pad) and tested by playing World of Warcraft for 5 hours straight... Not a single crash. :)

3. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

I'm experiencing the same thing. Both fallout 3 and warhammer online will crash anywhere from a few minutes to an hour in game.

I've tried the laptopvideo2go drivers but they don't seem to help. Seems to be a fairly common problem. Hope Apple deals with it soon.

Could it be possible that the fan that cools the 9600 is not running in bootcamp? Is there any way to check the fan speeds?

4. bangarang macrumors newbie

Bootcamp installs the incorrect graphics driver. This will cause your computer to crash to a black screen. I experienced the same problem on my iMac while playing Warhammer Online. Watch this video tutorial to fix it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQPZD5GrzI

I'm not sure if the same problem occurs on a MBP, but it's worth a shot. If it does work, you won't crash. You'll also notice a HUGE boost in performance. My frame rate went up quite a bit! :D

5. Mozzize thread starter macrumors newbie

Update guys!

Bangarang, I checked, your method doesn't work but thanks anyway.

I called Apple support this morning and they basically said that if the issue doesn't happen on os x then they can't deal with the problem... fat lot of good that is. So, does anyone have a REALLY demanding os x game like COD4 which they could use to check if it's a hardware problem?

I think this is frankly ridiculous, I pay £2000 for a laptop that doesn't work properly and have no way of returning it...