Late 2008 MPP - Are your Keys touching the screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orbitalpunk, Nov 4, 2008.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

hi there,

every time i close the lid of my laptop and reopen it, i can tell that a handful of keys are touching it leaving little square smudges. Does this happen to everyone?

Thanks

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I have not seen this at all on two late 2008 MBPs.

3. blurfonz macrumors regular

4. pj- macrumors member

yeah, happens to me sometimes. If the way you pick it up puts pressure on the lid, it probably flexes just enough to touch the buttons.

5. tekmoe macrumors 68000

It was happening on the MacBook 2.4 that I had bought and returned a week later for a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro does not have this problem. If it were, I would take it back and get another one. Very annoying if you ask me.

6. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

what if its a built to order.I had upgraded the hard drive to a 7200rpm. Can i still get it replaced at the apple store? how would that work?

Thanks

7. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

8. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

I think you will find that is a cleaning cloth (the black thing) unless you mean the piece of foam or whatever it was that is on the keyboard when you buy it. I think that would end up being more annoying than just dealing with some smudges to be honest.

9. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

would i get it replaced at the apples store or would i have to call 1800myapple if its a BTO?

Thanks guys

10. New2MacMBP macrumors newbie

Same Problem With My MBP

I've got the 2.53 MBP (late 2008) and have the same issue. Center of the screen keys from about R thru O and C thru < (as well as row between them) left impressions on the screen. However I only notice it when my mac has been in my back pack which obviously indicates that when compression stress is present that the screen is flexing slightly.

If I could just get my boss to understand how important a flawless screen is and require me to do less work then I wouldn't have to carry all this paperwork back and forth from home to work and put my mac under the stress. :rolleyes:

I've thought about doing some weight based tests to see how much pressure can be applied before the screen and keyboard make contact but it's at the bottom of my DoBot ToDos list on my iPhone. For now I've just enlisted the help of a piece of micro-fiber that I drape accross the keyboard before closing the lid.

11. Mercellus macrumors regular

I have a 2.4 GHz base-model MacBook Pro (Late 2008) and the keyboard does not touch the screen whatsoever.

If you're concerned over the keys touching the screen, you could get a keyboard cover cloth, like the one that comes with the iKlear Apple Polish kit (it fits the new MacBook/MacBook Pro just fine).

12. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I take my MacBook Pro everywhere with me in my backpack. I have no issues with the keyboard touching the screen. If I did, back it would go for a replacement. Totally unacceptable, IMO.

13. Croatian macrumors 6502

I had the same problem. My MacBook Pro was only 5 days old. I called apple, told them the problem, the lady on the phone was really sorry that happened, send me an email with UPS label to ship the computer back and now they are shopping me a bread new computer (hopefully it doesn't have the same problem) over all the computer worked really well just hated that i had to clean the screen every time i put the screen back up.

If your computer is less then 30days old, be it BTO or CTO, all u do it call support, get the case number, call apple store (where u got it) and they will do a return for you, and u will get a new machine.

14. robby818 macrumors 6502a

15. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

I use that foam when I close the lid each time.

16. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I noticed a mark after closing the display the first time. Since then, I've used my Marware keyboard pad and problem solved.

17. eleven2brett macrumors regular

This has happened to me a few times, I think whenever i apply too much pressure on the lid.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have to call Apple to get a replacement; you can only get stock models at the store.

19. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

well i called apple today. I discovered I was exactly on my 14th day of ownership and was very lucky i called in. They allowed me to return it for a full refund. restocking and shipping fees were waived. I told them I would like to re-buy in 3-6 months when a revision comes out.

Apple rocks!

Thanks guys for all the great input.

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

For all you noobs....

[​IMG]
    Ain't you heard of the ProTouch iSkin range? They'll protect the screen from keyboard damage, protect the keyboard from dust, dirt, grim and spillage too!

21. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

to the troll

1. We're not noobs
    2. That thing is fugly
    3. I dont settle for lemons. I have patience.

22. Pneublet macrumors member

Mine wasn't touching the screen but when I left it in my backpack for a day and opened it up again the screen had little square marks on it. I'm not sure why sitting in my backpack made the keys touch but I don't see as that big of a deal. I'd rather not send my computer back for such a minor issue so I picked up a marware cover which doubles as a micro-fiber cleaning cloth and now I don't have to worry about it.

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Whatever floats your boat!! Get a refund and wait... They're built in china, so don't exspect the quality to improve too much.

Persnally, I'd sooner use the machine to earn money and care less about it's aesthetics, it doesn't cause the system to malfunction, it could be a defect but it's nothing serious. If your buying the machine as a trophy, for the fireplace, you clearly have too much money!! So you deserve to keep on waiting.

24. Croatian macrumors 6502

why would u return it
    the computer is awesome

i had the same problem as you
    i just returned my and let them ship me another one

the new MBPs are not lemons or what not cuz really everyone else seems to be happy with them, so just cuz something wasn't right don't mean everyone one is the same :)

to bad u be missing out, next MBPs wont come out till same time next year really (that u will notice big difference - other then speed bump) cuz thats going to make it any different then now

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's a bit presumptuous

Ouch.