late 2008 uMB, applecare or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chill., Sep 9, 2009.

1. chill. macrumors 6502

hi all,

i purchased a unibody macbook mid-october of 2008. so the 1 year warranty deadline is coming up and i am considering whether to buy applecare or not

applecare seems like it would be pretty expensive, and would cost maybe like 15% of the current value of my macbook. i guess what i'm wondering is, has anybody else had any trouble with this generation of macbooks and had to send it into the shop? from what i've seen, the late 2008 macbooks have had pretty good build quality and not many problems at all. so is it worth it to get applecare?

thanks!

2. nrivas macrumors member

3. kellte2 macrumors regular

I just sent mine in...defective screen, replaced top case, new fan(s), and replacement internal magsafe assembly.

Buy applecare.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I would. The cost over three years is nothing. Your MacBook might not even have trouble during that time and further down the road (have an aunt who is still rocking an iBook G4) but it offers peace of mind and I think it's well worth it.

5. youssefm macrumors 6502

I have the same computer, and I just purchased applecare for it knowing the deadline would be arriving soon (it should come tmrw!!)
    I bought it using the education discount online from apple, its $183 w/out tax, and its free shipping.. and i already had my screen and top case replaced under warranty, so I suggest you do get it