Late 2008 uMBP Freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VTECaddict, Aug 25, 2009.

1. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

My Late 2008 uMBP 2.53 Ghz sometimes freezes while watching videos. I think it has only happened while watching videos...don't remember it happening any other time. It's happened several times before, but I figure I'd finally ask about it now before the warranty is up.

What happens is I'll be watching a video online, then everything just completely freezes. Nothing works: mouse doesn't move, keyboard doesn't work, video stops, etc. The last split second of audio will just keep repeating over and over like a broken record. I have to hold the power button and do a hard reset to get it working again.

It's not really reproducible on command. Not sure what causes it. Might be heat? But iStat menus this time showed the temp at 73*C when it froze, so it's shouldn't be overheating yet.

Running 10.5.8, and it's happened with 10.5.7, 10.5.6 and might have happened in 10.5.5 too (don't remember), so it's definitely not a fault of the OS updates. This time was on the 9600M card, but before was on the 9400M card.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Have you tried to fully uninstall flash and then to reinstall flash to see if it does better? Why i think this is something, safari beta upgrade to safari trashed flash for many.

3. VTECaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

It's happened with Flash 9 and 10 and since I had Safari 3 installed (though I was using Firefox when it froze).

But will give that a go. I really wish I knew how to make it freeze on demand so I can take it to Apple and show them.

Just froze again. :( Again while watching a YouTube video. Temp was at 58*C so it definitely is not heat related.

4. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I'd start off by testing the RAM. Like use Rember: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15837

Then I'd use the hardware diagnostic CD Apple included.

Then I'd boot off a completely fresh installation of Mac OS X. From an external USB or firewire hard drive preferably.

If all those fail to resolve the freezes, I guess it would be something more serious like the logic board, etc.

Hope this helps.