Late 2008 Unibody MBP Superdrive Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeymike1, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mikeymike1 macrumors newbie

Recently while attempting to burn onto a blank CD (it was the correct type as I've been using the same ones successfully for years), my MBP attempted to read the blank disc and then proceeded to eject it immediately. I tried different discs of the same brand, different brands, but to no avail, they were all just ejected.

I forgot about the problem until recently, when I ran into it again while reinstalling OSX. I then needed to create a disk image of OSX using another MacBook and apply that to an external HD, to then reinstall it on my MBP. A bit time-consuming to say the least. Anyway, everything that goes into the superdrive is almost immediately ejected. I've also tried a cleaning disc, which didn't work either. I assume now that it's totally dead. :mad:

I'm now aware that this isn't an uncommon issue, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience of this happening, repair costs etc. Does it need completely replaced? After checking my serial number with Apple, I discovered that my repairs and service coverage is expired. Thanks for any feedback you may have!

2. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

My Macbook Aluminum (late 2008) used to have the same problem. First, it starts with unable to write any DVD even if DVD-R and then it fail to read any CD at all. I remember that it was "Matsushita" Super drive (I am not sure about that name, but it start with "m"). Luckily, I still had Applecare at the time and they fixed that for me. I ended up got LG Superdrive instead and work fine since then.

If you don't mind about internal DVD drive, I suggest that you can go with external DVD drive. LG external drive is the best choice due to compatibility with Mac, I had LG GP10NW20 and never used my internal drive at all!

Final word, I took Superdrive off 2 weeks ago and replace it by Optibay with SSD. My Macbook is alive with faster speed and should stay with me for at least a year!!

3. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Like allapon said, I'd also suggest just getting a cheap external superdrive. If you really want to have yours replaced, the cost of a superdrive without labor would be around $90.

4. mikeymike1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys, appreciate it. I don't use it that often so not entirely convinced it's worth replacing, especially given the cost. Thanks for the LG recommendation, I'll look into it! I've never heard of having the Superdrive replaced with a SSD, that's awesome! I'll try find out if there's a way of getting one of those in the UK. Thanks again for the help.:D