Late 2008 Unibody Screen Flicker?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdad123, Jun 17, 2011.

1. asdad123 macrumors regular

So I seem to have the problem that many other people have with the late 2008 Unibodies with the 9400m where the screen flickers every once in a while. I didnt pay attention before because it happened like once a week, but this morning it started happening every couple of minutes.

The bad part, my computer is out of apple care =/ How much do you guys think it'll cost me to get this fixed at apple? Also, if I do get it repaired by them, will I have any warranty after the repair so this issue does not happen again? Because from what I've read, when people sent it in for repair, sometimes it didn't get fixed.

Thanks guys.

2. simsaladimbamba

Does it also happen with the 9600M?
    Because it didn't happen on my 2008 MBP with the 9600M GT, only with the 9400M.

3. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope just happens on the 9400m.

From what I've read, its a power inverter issue or something like that, but this macbook is going to my mom so I do not want there to be any problems with it.

I restarted the computer and Ive only seen one flicker in 2 hours so thats a little bit better than every 3 minutes or so.

4. eron macrumors 6502

5. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

About 50C average with the fans at 2000 RPM when the laptop is on my lap. When on a hard surface, it drops to like 40-45C

6. eron macrumors 6502

So it looks like it's not a temperature issue then. Mine was >60degC constantly.

You can try the Apple Store if they will replace the logicboard and display free for you. Slim chance, but worth a shot.

Else, if you are brave enough, you can try the heatgun method...

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You know, I use my 08 unibody in clamshell mode 98% of the time, so I wouldn't even know if this problem affects me. Let's not be curious :p

8. eron macrumors 6502

If you don't have Applecare, don't bother.
    If you do have Applcare, better to get it fixed (or reduced) so it lasts longer. Better for resale anyway.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The flicker just started for me recently and I don't know if it's related or not, but I find that it flickers more often when the screen is tilted in certain angles more than others...but since it doesn't happen with the 9600M GT, I don't think it has to do with any of the connections, instead it's something with the GPU itself?