Late 2009 27" iMac and Target Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by britboyj, Oct 27, 2011.

1. britboyj macrumors 6502a

So I previously had a 13" MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) and a 27" 2.8 i5 iMac (Late 2010) and never really had a need to hook them up. Both had mini-displayport.

With my new job, I've been given a 15" 2.0 i7 MacBook Pro (the one that JUST got outdated) and there's obviously some stuff that I can't do on a personal computer that I need to do at home. It'd be really nice to plug it into my 27" to work on.

I tried it with a Thunderbolt Cable and no dice. The 27" iMac never goes into Target display mode. Looking into it seems that normally, both ends of the connection need to be the same, since the iMac can't make sense of the Thunderbolt signal.

Now, here's the big question - What if I do it with a Mini-Displayport only cable? Presumable the MBP would sense that it's "just" a display and only output video, in the same way it would if I hooked it up to a non-TB Cinema display.

Thoughts or experiences guys?

PS - 13" well-taken care of 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP for sale! :D

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

how much? you going to post in the marketplace?

3. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe, need to see if my Mum wants it first.

$800?

Now, what about my original question - anyone?

4. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

If you're asking if you can output from a newer MBP to an iMac using target display mode with a mini-Displayport cable, the answer is yes. I use this method to connect my notebook to my iMac and it works fine.

6. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! The IT folks at work were a bit confused as to why I ordered a TB cable. Came in handy for file transfers today though. :D