Late 2009 27"iMac buying used

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dominic252, Mar 22, 2016.

1. dominic252 macrumors member

So I found on craigslist a 2009 27" iMac with a 2.8ghz i7, 32gb of 1333MHz RAM, and a 6970M GPU for $650 I'll be using my new computer for video/photo editing and also some gaming. Is this computer too old? I'm worried that if I bought it, I would have to replace it in the next year or two and I'm trying to avoid that. Is this a good deal or should I try and find something newer?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well if you want the latest greatest games to run its just too old if you want to edit 4K video it's just too old, it's the graphics card really the CPU is fine. If you are running old games or indie stuff it'll be fine if your photo and video editing is modest it'll be fine.

At 7years old it may last a week or 3 years no way to tell the reliability of a machine that old, check out the apps you want to use and what their recommended specs are and maybe read some forums on those apps to find out what will work for you now or going forward.

Basically no one can answer this for you it is your call and needs to be based on your research and understanding of the situation. In other words it's almost impossible for anyone here to say without a detailed knowledge of the software you use and your plans for the future.

3. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I am currently using a late 2009 27" iMac with the 2.8 i7 and 20GB 1333 MHz RAM and a homemade Fusion Drive. And it works perfectly fine with Lightroom, Photoshop, Indesign, etc., but if you want to play games I would probably look elsewhere. What is it about this computer that makes you consider it? Maybe there are other alternatives with similar pricing and newer hardware that might be a better buy.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my iMac. But I do not play games nor edit videos on mine.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

That's too much money for an iMac that old.

I wouldn't buy ANY used Mac today UNLESS it had USB3.
    This gets you the capability to plug in an external SSD and get -fast- booting and running.