Late 2009 exta SATA cable??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cbben, Jun 20, 2014.

1. cbben macrumors newbie

According to this: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-inch-aluminum-how-to-upgrade-hard-drive.html (look at the first paragraph under Supported Hard Drive & SSD Types) many or all of the late-2009 27" imac's have an extra sata connection cable... can anyone confirm this? is there a full 3.5" bay empty inside to go with the cable?

Specifically I'm interested in the 27" C2D 3.06 (actually the 3.33Ghz, but I assume these should be pretty much identical inside other than the processor). I'm looking to get an ssd upgrade, but I'd like to keep the optical drive and avoid the fan spin-up issue, as well as use the current HD for time machine/ extra storage.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That page does not include the 2009 27" as having more than one SATA connector. They only have one.

3. cbben thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah! I see now... I think they could've broken that sentence up a bit more, all the model numbers run together so I just jumped to the end... wishful thinking I guess.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is a poorly written page. Maybe a table or better paragraph breaks would have made it clearer. It took me a few reads to get it as well.

5. eduardrw macrumors 6502

No extra SATA cable - no extra bay etc on my Late 2009 I7 iMac!!!

I have my original SATA 2 spinning HDD on SATA port one.
    On SATA port 2 I have a SSD (replaced the DVD drive using a data doubler from OWC)