Late 2009 iMac 27" HD swap and fan issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ECJ, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

My Seagate 1TB failed and the CPU fan started to run 24/7 at around 2,000 rpm. I had the HD replaced during the replacement program, since it failed a 1 week before they annouced the program. The replacement Seagate 1TB failed six months later. So I replaced with a Seagate 3TB version. I still have the CPU fan issue, with it running at 2,000 rpm 24/7. I use SSD Fan Control app to help reduce the fan speed, but would love to have this back to normal.

Any ideas?

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Apple HD

Did the 3TB drive you replaced it with come from Apple? Apparently there is a "special" temperature sensor in the Apple drives, which if not present causes the fan speed to stay high. We've had this happen on one of the iMacs at our office, when we tried to replace with an off the shelf Seagate drive.

3. ECJ thread starter macrumors 6502

ECJ

It was not from Apple. I really didn't want to put in the same failing 1TB drive. What was you solution, if you found one?

4. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Fix

Since a couple of us are certified Apple technicians we were able to order a replacement HD from Apple which fixed the issue. If there is a certified Apple repair place near where you live they can probably do the same, other than that, I don't know of a work around.

5. ECJ thread starter macrumors 6502

ECJ

Thanks. Since the drive is already bought and installed I'll try to find better fan software or maybe open it back up to ensure all the sensors are in place.