Late 2009 iMac: Bluetooth no longer in System Preferences

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Jul 25, 2012.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I don't know if I'm in the very small majority, but I installed Mountain Lion on my late 2009 iMac this morning and experienced what I consider to be a huge issue. After the reboot, I could only use my magic trackpad as a simple one-button mouse. The Bluetooth icon in the menu bar reported that Bluetooth was not available, and the Bluetooth section in System Preferences is no longer there. Short of a "nuke and pave", what should I do?

I'm at work now and my iMac is at home, so I'll tackle this once I go home. I was thinking that a simple reboot may do the trick, but I can't figure out why the Bluetooth section would simply not be in System Preferences anymore. It's not as if I intentionally deleted it. What's more puzzling is that I know I have Bluetooth connectivity - after all, I use a Bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad with my iMac. I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions, etc... from the community here at large. I really don't want to do a "nuke and pave".

2. pamartel macrumors newbie

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Probably a corrupt plist.

Go to /HDD/Library/Preference an delete (move to trash) any and all files called com.apple.Bluetooth.plist, com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.lockfile and com.apple.Bluetooth.plist~orig

Don't empty you trash though incase you still need them

Restart your Mac and see if it fixes it

Also try repairing permissions.

4. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I did not encounter this problem. Mine is present.

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

It seems to be working just fine on my wife's late '09 iMac.

Attached Files:

6. Exotic-Car Man, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

Exotic-Car Man macrumors regular

Exotic-Car Man

ML vs. Lion System Prefs

Thanks to your screenshot, I was able to create a Mountain Lion vs. Lion System Preferences. ML is on the left; Lion is on the right.

Attached Files:

7. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks much daneoni! That did the trick (the first thing - I haven't yet repaired permissions). I can now use gestures again! I actually forgot about CTL-click for the right-click context menu for a while. D'oh! Anyway, thanks again for the tip.

8. KwaiChangCaine macrumors newbie

same problem

I dont have the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist~orig on my preference folder
    thanks

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You don't have to have all three...