Late 2009 iMac HDD->SSD upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GoneMad, Jul 26, 2013.

1. GoneMad macrumors newbie

I've been a PC user for quite a while now,(I guess forever). I don't have an over abundance cash flow, so I have been keeping my eyes open for an imac. I just came across a 27" that has the infamous damaged display adapter (my guess from a botched disassemble attempt) and managed to get it. I found a new one on line and am waiting for it. Figured I have noting to lose, I have the tools to remove damaged one and any broken traces/pads as I repair electronics of another sort. My question is, it has the 1TB HHD in it now, but I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD that I would like to put in. Is this possible with only having SATA 2 and being so old? Thanks. Any incite to this is appreciated. I also plan on upgrading RAM. I have an 8GB stick and a couple 2GB that should work.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can put the 840 Pro in there and not have a problem. It just won't run at its fastest possible speed, and be limited to the SATA 2 speeds. I have an 840 in my 2010 iMac at SATA 2 and it works great.

3. GoneMad thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to know. Will I need anything special for the install? I'm guessing I have to pretty much do a complete disassemble?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you're going to do a direct HDD to SSD replacement, you may need a 3.5" to 2.5" bracket to mount the SSD. Then you will probably need to do something about the HDD sensor fan. I figured out an easy way to take care of that issue here.

5. GoneMad thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice blog. A pretty good read. I'm going to give it a shot when it all gets here. But first, my main mission is to get it functional. Then we will worry about the HHD/SSD.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Always an important step! Good luck. :)

7. GoneMad thread starter macrumors newbie

OK,,this just arrived. Not going to be as bad as I thought. All the pins are still intact to the MB, so no broken traces or lifted pads. One thing that may be a problem, the small ribbon with four traces that slides into the connector, (like a pc laptop ribbon) I noticed one or two of the traces are starting to lift off, which may prevent it from being inserted correctly. Any way to stick these back down half decently? I can take a pic if need be. Thanks

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

A pic may be good - provided you haven't already completed your task.

9. GoneMad thread starter macrumors newbie

Just did some research, it's the vertical sync ribbon. I've some other posts elsewhere of some repairing it. Stripping it back a little further. A little fuzzy shot, but it shows the prob.

[​IMG]

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Maybe a small dot of superglue or a very small strip of double-sided Scotch tape could hold it back down.

Does the other end of the cable disconnect? If so, it would be a better idea to seek a replacement cable.

11. wmy5, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

wmy5 macrumors regular

only the 2011 models have HDD sensor issue. No need to worry about that with 2009 iMac ;)

12. GoneMad thread starter macrumors newbie

Working

Well. The connector finally come in the mail. A bit smaller than the stuff I'm used to working with, but I managed. Now up and running, just waiting for the replacement glass which was damaged. Just have a few questions, being my first mac.I don't have an Apple KB and mouse yet. So when it wakes, the usb KB does not work. Is this only because it's a pc KB? Also, it seems the longer it is running, the fan or maybe HDD seems to get louder. Anything I should be looking at? I don't have the SSD in yet. I will probably remove the DVD and use that space for the SSD and use the 1TB in there already for data. So I really only want to remove the LCD one more time and do what I have to or check what needs to be checked. Thanks

13. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I had to install SSDFanControl on my late 2009 27" because once I put in an SSD the fans went full blast, same in my 2010 and 2011 when I replaced the HDD with anything other than the stock drive.

14. GoneMad thread starter macrumors newbie

I replaced the HHD with the SSD and it turns out it was the HDD that was making all the noise. Runs nice and quiet now. Not quite as fast as with the sata3 but you can see the difference.Will get an enclosure for the 1TB and use it externally. The connector from the DVD was completely different so I left it in. Thanks everyone. Now all I need is a ram upgrade.

15. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Well done they make a great heater the late 09 iMac:)