Late 2009 iMac, Power outage, Strange behavior?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ohsnap, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ohsnap macrumors regular

I have a late 2009 iMac C2D 21" 3.06Ghz that ran beautifully until last night when we had 2 successive power outages. I turned it off for the night, this morning I booted it back up and then at first it went straight into the login menu. I selected my account and it immediately game me the beachball. I let it sit there for about 10 minutes, then I pressed the reset button. This time, while booting it gave me this screen with the bar at the bottom that took about 10 minutes to complete then shut off. I rebooted, gave me this screen again, and then finally gave me the login. I selected my account, but it did not log in, it just went back to the login menu. I then rebooted, gave me the bar again, went back to the login menu. This is data corruption on the drive as opposed to actual hardware problem with the computer itself? How would I fix this or at least get the data off the drive? I have TimeCapusle running. Does that image the drive? Would I be able to make a complete backup from TC?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

What OS version?

If you have DVDs, boot from there and run Disk Utility, then Verify Disk on the HD. If it fails to verify, post the error messages (copy and paste from Disk Utility's window).