Late 2009 iMac SSD Options for DIY IDrive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Qwerty11, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Qwerty11 macrumors regular

What options for SSD's do I have for the DIY Fusion Drive on a late 2009 iMac? I have heard that this version of the iMac cannot take advantage of the faster SSD's. Do not want to spend money on something which won't be usable. Also don't want to get something that is crap. What drives should I look at?

2. mossy, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

mossy macrumors regular

mossy

Around January I needed to put a ssd into my late 2009 iMac. I put an OCZ Technology 512GB Vertex 4 Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) into the optical drive bay with the optical drive kit from iFixit.

I was delighted with the way it turned out. It was like having a new computer.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

You're probably thinking of the SATA link speed. Your machine probably has a maximum of 3 Gigabit/second SATA interface. (Check it with System Information-->Hardware-->SATA and look for "Link Speed".)

Some SSDs (especially the earlier ones) have a max of 3 Gb/s, and some have a max of 6 Gb/s. The 3 Gb/s ones may be less expensive.

If your link speed is 3 Gb/s, getting a 6 Gb/s SSD won't give you any advantage over a 3 Gb/s SSD, but it won't hurt anything, either.

4. Qwerty11 thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh thats it. Unfortunately sense the original drive has failed and I can't boot, I can't check to see what my link speed is.

Is 120 GB a good size to go with for the SSD?

What SSD's do you recoomend?