Late 2009 iMac Target Display Mode power consumption

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pestul, Apr 17, 2013.

1. pestul macrumors newbie

I was just wondering if anyone has measure the amount of power an iMac (27" late 2009) consumes in target display mode. I have a desktop i7 Windows 7 PC hooked up to it through displayport to minidisplayport and it works great.. but I was a little worried that the i7 iMac would still sucking a lot of juice in the background. I'm assuming at idle most of the consumption is probably the screen anyway though.

It doesn't seem to ever enter a sleep state etc because I have logitech usb mouse connected to the iMac and its led remains lit, whereas in sleep it will turn off.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

----------

And I see I should have searched the forum more efficiently because I found someone asking the same question from december..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1504791

Looks like it might not be enough power for me to worry about.

2. raythree macrumors newbie

I just started using my mid-2010 iMac 27 as an external display for a new Macbook pro retina, using that plus a Thunderbolt display for two 27 inch displays. I have no idea how much it is consuming, but the iMac is pretty hot to the touch compared to the thunderbolt or the Macbook pro. Not anything unusual, but feels like it does when usually running as my primary computer.