Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have the iMac; I don't use it, it's for guests. However it's very slow, and I think it's because I need to upgrade to an SSD.

Currently it's running the Core i5-750 4c @ 2.66GHz; it doesn't have HyperThreading or Turbo Boost. Has 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB HDD. The GPU is the ATi Radeon 4850 512MB.

I'm thinking of switching it to the new Mac mini because the mini is smaller and runs cooler (and uses less power). I would be getting the higher end non-server model. Probably also replace the existing HDD with a SSD and upgrade to 8GB of RAM. I already have a Thunderbolt Display, along with keyboard and mice, so I don't need anything else. The higher end Mac mini has a Core i7 4c @ 2.3GHz and has all the latests stuff. I don't need an optical drive.

If I get the Mac mini, I would sell the iMac. Which ever one I get or keep, I will upgrade to an SSD.

What are people's thoughts on this?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
The iMac really shouldn't be 'very slow'. What's going on there? How does it seem slow? What's it used for?

File corruption and bad RAM could cause stuttering slowness I suppose. It might be worth checking the disk/permissions and running memtest just to rule those things out.

I'm assuming you're running Mountain Lion?

Yanwoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
Yeah that description of your iMac being very slow seems a bit odd. I have that same iMac (albeit with 12gb ram) and it generally runs pretty well (on mountain lion).

I am finding it a *bit* slow when I have a whole bunch of stuff running and that's why I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the new mac minis too.

I'm planning to use the iMac as the screen for the mac mini whilst using the 'back end' for server type duties.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The reason I said it probably needs an SSD upgrade is because that's what I think the issue is. All my other computers have SSDs now, so spending 10x the time to boot up, open an app, makes the computer feel slow.

I've system tests, and everything is fine.

I figured, spend a bit to get an SSD would make it feel like new, but I'm a bit weary about ripping apart the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.