Late 2009 imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rence12, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Rence12 macrumors newbie

Ok so I'm in need of upgrading my hard drive to at least a 1tb ( I currently have a 500 GB) after checking online with some vendors they say something to do with a thermal sensors can't be done, they mentioned a ssd drive, is this my only option,

2. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Your online sources are full of crap. Buy the HD temp sensor from a 2008 imac and trim the plug so it fits (a nail clipper works great) and you can use any drive. And if you put an SSD in the main bay, you still need the temp sensor.

3. Rence12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found a shop here where I live that's going to install a one TB hard drive and clone my old hard drive and put the right thermal sensor and if needed put some software that I'll run the fans for 175 bucks

4. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Why on Earth would you spend money to put a 1TB drive in? Decent 3TB drives are around $100.

5. Rence12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ummmm

I know that drives are cheap , I just figured since he was gonna do the install,and clone the drive it would save me the trouble , I'm not very secure with doing install

6. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

I am upgrading a late-2009 27" with a 250GB SSD in place of the SuperDrive and a 2TB HD in the HD spot. Works great. I did use a temp sensor off eBay, everything works perfectly.

You should seriously consider a Fusion Drive - it brings these older iMacs right back up to spec. Speed-wise, I'm happy with it.

7. baluvee macrumors newbie

I bought late 2009 iMac from craiglist 10 days back. the owner told me it is not booting. i took the risk. I ran disk utility and found out that seagate hdd smart failed. after checking online forums I bought 1TB hdd(seagate) from owc. All the online forums strongly suggested to buy same brand hdd. I upgraded HDD from fried 500gb to 1TB and upgrade Ram from 4Gb to 8. Clean Install of Yosemite and Happy. Mind you this is my First mac computer ( I do own iPhone). Now I am looking to upgrade wifi to wifi ac with bluetooth 4

8. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Why do a fusion drive? Just throw in an SSD boot/application drive and keep your files on the HDD. The great thing about data segregation is that you can do a clean OS wipe on demand without thinking about it.

9. CapAirboss macrumors newbie

I have a 'Late 2009 ' iMac 27 and installed Yosemite plus 10.0.1 upgrade. Nothing works now. It barely connects and I cant upgrade my MacKeeper to fix anything. What's up with Yosemite?:mad:

10. dborja macrumors 6502a

Works fine here. I did replace my HDD with a 256GB SSD and keep my data on a Firewire HDD. I did this when Mountain Lion was the current OS version - just did a clean install and I've just been doing upgrades (to Mavericks and, now, Yosemite) since then.

11. CapAirboss macrumors newbie

Help !!!

Sorry,it is an 'Early' 2009. I opened the App Store and update Safari to 8.0.2. It keeps telling me to update AFTER i did complete it. Tried opening Safari and it still comes back as 'Safari can't open the page'. HELP !!!

12. dborja macrumors 6502a

Try a clean re-install of Mac OS X, maybe?

13. CapAirboss macrumors newbie

Did that and things got WORSE ! I wish it was easy to go back to Maverics.