Late 2009 Macbook aluminum 2.4 on mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cypriot, Nov 6, 2013.

1. cypriot macrumors regular

Hello,

I have a Late 2009 Macbook 2.4 6gb RAM 750 gb HD with 10.8.5 installed. It runs smoothly. However I want garageband it doesn't download unless I have 10.9 installed.

I don't have a backup Hd and I am scared to update because previously my HDD was broken after mountain lion update. I had to painfully wipe the drive and clean install the OS. I lost my work data and other stuff.

Now I can't afford an external drive because they are really expensive in my country (because of the exchange rates being so high).

Should I update to Mavericks without backup. Or is there a way to back up the drive without an external drive?. Is there anybody with late 2009 alu macbook running mavericks? Can you give some feedback?

Thanks in advance.

2. maz-o macrumors member

maz-o

No matter what you're doing (or not doing) to your mac, it's HIGHLY recommended to always backup your stuff. Please get a spare HDD asap, from the Bay or something if it's too expensive locally.

You can also backup your most important stuff to Dropbox or a similar online backup service. It's free up until a few Gb's, and quite reasonably priced if you need more.

That said, I've never had problems with system updates, and I haven't had to restore from a backup afterwards. (this is still not a recommendation to do it without backing up, just my experience)

3. trevm999 macrumors member

If your 10.8 upgrade failed and you had to repartition your hard drive, it is highly likely your hard drive is already failing. You should get you data backed up in some fashion. If you can't afford a backup drive, then as mentioned, drop box is a good option. If you have more data to back up than what drop box offers for free, then you can spread it across a couple free services. Google drive, skydrive, Ubuntu One. However one service would be easier.

4. cypriot thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for comments. My 10.8 upgrade didn't fail. My HDD failed after a month of update. It may not be about the update. I am trying to get a backup drive from ebay. Hope I can get it soon.