Late 2009 Macbook Manufactured in 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jbsmithmac, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jbsmithmac macrumors regular

I've used a number of online sites to give me information about my mac based on its serial number.

The thing I'm confused about is that all of them say that the mac was manufactured in March 2011...but this model (MC207LL/A, MacBook6,1) was discontinued on May 18, 2010 (according to everymac.com).

Does this mean that Apple continues to make products - at least this one - for a year after they discontinued it (is that the announcement date)?

Or are the online sites wrong about the info in the serial number?

2. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Where are you getting the serial number from? Case or by logging in and looking About This Mac? Do those two numbers match?

3. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

From the "About this Mac" section. And yes it does match what's on the case.

4. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

And you're sure that you have a MC207LL/A? Possibly not a FC207LL/A?? Only thing I can think of is refurbished, but probably not.

5. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

When I got it I was told that it was just used, not refurbished. Any way that I can tell if it was a refurb? My understanding from apple is that when they refub they provide a new serial number...which doesn't seem to be the case here.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The only situation where an older model would show a newer manufacture date - would be that your MacBook was sold as a refurb. Those are assigned a new serial number, and would also have the label, and the hardware serial number changed to reflect that serial number.
    So, you have a refurb, rebuilt by Apple several months after the original manufacture.

7. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

OK...thats fine with me, I actually prefer refurbs from apple. It just threw me when the sites said just a couple years old.

I suppose there's no way to determine the original manufacture date now is there? I don't need the info, just was curious.

8. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

They do give it a new serial number, and they also change the model number I believe to an F. Thats why I asked. Punch in the serial number to Apple and see if there is a date that shows when the warranty started or expired. That may help.

Refurb makes the most sense as they do sell refurbs beyond their discontinuation date. If computer was purchased after discontinue date, the new serial may reflect a 'manufactured' date after that.

I have a refurb Macbook Air, that I just bought this past week. However, the serial number on Apples website shows that the warranty just started. But when I run the serial number on the Chipmunk decoder, it shows that it was manufactured in 2/2014, and that my processor is the high end, when System Information reports that its the base. But it shows xx for the RAM. I don't know how accurate these things are. AppleSerialNumber says my number is not correct and does not match anything, and PowerBookMedic says its a MacBook Pro w/ Retina. Plus, remember that Apple changes they're Serial number coding system every once in a while to account for the large growth in sales. I know that they have changed them at least twice in the last 15 years ('06 and '10).

FWIW

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

A refurb is (in theory) rebuilt to factory specs, as needed.
    The date that the serial number points to is, in effect, the manufacture date (for the refurb)