Late 2009 Macbook spitting out blank dvds?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zoefulton, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Zoefulton macrumors newbie

I've tried Verbatim DVD + DL and Sony DVD - R and it just tries to read it you can hear it spinning then it stops then it tries again then it spits it out. I've tried multiple dvds of both brands. It worked once today then I tried to burn to it and it gave me some error, but I figured it was fine this happened before I just need to put it on the slowest speed. But when I reinserted the DVD it just spits it back out. This is what it says about the burner http://puu.sh/4X1OY.png It read a game disc perfectly first try so I don't get the problem.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Try a couple boxed movie dvd. If it spits out some but not others, you need to clean the dvd drive. It's pretty easy to take the drive out and open it. Make sure to use a little water on a paper towel or tissue. Youtube has a couple videos on how to open it, search mac mini disc ejecting.

3. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Try cleaning the dvd drive with a can of compressed air, then use a credit card covered with a lint free cloth and push it into the dvd slot, working it back and forth for a couple of minutes. This worked for me when my slot loading dvd drive started to spit out discs for no apparent reason. I've had quite good experiences with Verbatim DL dvd's, I tend to have a problem with TDK DL dvd's. They start to burn, but about half way through, they throw up some error and fail to burn. Verbatim discs have never given me any problems, and burn just fine. The internal slot loading dvd drives shipped with MacBooks and MBP's are known to be very fussy with the dvd's they accept, especially when it comes to DL dvd's, but cleaning the disc drive, should help matters.