Late 2009 MacBook Temperature

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jony Mac, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

What is the normal range for the MacBook as far as temperature goes. I can't find it anywhere. I put on a keyboard cover, and I'm wondering if this will cause some over heating issues. Here is what my temps are after about 5 - 10 min of running.

Keep in mind these are in F. Not C.

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

Normal.
    And there are loads of threads (probably thousands) about this or that temp being normal or not.

And when the MacBook is going to overheat, it will shutdown itself to prevent any damage.

Btw, the CPU of that MB can take up to 105°C before it shuts down, which is 221° F or 378.15K. You are far away from that temperature.

3. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Yeah I was hoping that Apple published something on temps. Didn't want to kill my MacBook just from a cover.

4. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Confused?

Does the Unibody MacBooks cool from that back vent or do they use the keyboard system at all?

5. simsaladimbamba

Back vent, it does not suck air through the keys.

6. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Hmmm seems like everyone says it uses the keyboard. Are we sure keyboard covers made for unibody MacBooks don't cause over heating

7. simsaladimbamba

I am not we, but it doesn't cause overheating.
    And with the temps you posted, you are far away from overheating.
    Hmm.

8. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Meant no disrespect by saying "we", I was just using it in conversation. I guess part of me is OCD wanting to keep it running clean and in good working order. Ive seen older threads mention it overheating from this and I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for clearing up that it uses the back vent rather than the keyboard spaces.

9. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I may be paranoid but my MacBook felt a warm by the back vent after about 45 minutes of use on battery power. Hmmm.

10. winston1236 macrumors 68000

those are all normal. if you're really worried get smc fan control and boost the minimum fan speed. i turn mine on max during renders otherwise it hits almost 180 degrees before the fan starts spooling up