Late 2009 MBP. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SD-B, Feb 15, 2015.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

Main new computer is the 27" retina iMac
    Have a late 2011 MBP I am putting an SSD into this week. Even that is more than I might need

Have a late 2009 MBP with a dying hard drive, a dying battery, a dead DVD drive although I never used that anyhow and have a great working on in my 2011 version as well as a USB super drive for the retina iMac.

Was just going to throw it out this week but i have met TONS of resistance from other apple users who seem appalled that i would toss out an MBP from 6 years ago. I have never had a computer for 6 years. This has been the first so I DONT have any issues with throwing it away. IF i were to keep it I would likely only use it on my bed at night time to read through Kindle or web browse and if i fell asleep and it fell on the floor it would not be the end of the world.

But it would cost roughly $120 for a new battery and another $120 for a battery unless i just kept it plugged in.
    Does this not seem a bit much to be putting into a 6 year old MBP?

What am I missing? Why such resistance to my throwing it away?

2. SirCarrington macrumors newbie

SirCarrington

I hate to see Macs get thrown away. Macs are still seen as a status symbol or elite and unobtainable by some.

In my opinion, the best thing for you to do with that is sell it for cheap. You benefit by gaining some cash and someone else may benefit by finally being able to afford a Mac, tethered or not.

There may also be people looking for a Mac server who don't need a battery or portability. MacBook Pros with frelled batteries are perfect for that.

You may just make someone else's day a lot nicer by selling it.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is nothing wrong with throwing it away, though many of us own Macs and rebuild them. I for one like to use something until it is totally irreparable. I have a 1999 PowerMac G4 still running to this day. If I was in your position I would sell it off or send it to someone for the cost of shipping. I know I would pay for it simply for the parts. I constantly have 09 Pros on my rebuild bench that need parts!

I agree that dropping money into a new battery, hard drive, and optical drive is a bit much since you have a newer 2011 Pro with a Core i series processor and new iMac. With that being said, since it doesn't sound like you could use it for much in all honesty you are better off selling it or giving it away. PM me if you want to get rid of it.

4. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

No, besides the late 2011 MBP I just purchased the 27' retina iMac so this 2009 isn't being used.

That said, HAD it been working ok, I would have kept it in my bedroom for late night web browsing but for me its not worth putting any money into it as naturally I tend to use the iMac and even the 2011 MBP is barely being used.

( that one is about to be upgraded with an SSD drive and I will be forcing the hubby to finally learn how to use a computer in case i am not here one day so that will be the one given to him but the 2009 won't be used )

I should not have said I will be throwing it in the trash as its likely I will keep it and/or pass it on but I did get a few emails from people asking for it so please, no more as i have a few to choose from already should I decide to pass it on.
    I really wasn't aware anyone would want it so I was just caught by suprise at the few emails asking for it

As my first mac i am sentimental towards it and wish I could do what many of u have done and kept it working but.....i don't have time for that hobby or likely the patience

Thanks though :D

5. dxmac99 macrumors regular

I would just buy a 1tb hdd (like $50) and make that MBP a iTunes home share server.. :)

6. Queen6, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Donate it to a charitable cause, keeping it will either cost you $$$ or just catch dust. My old Mac`s get passed to my son & daughter, with one caveat once they get a replacement the old machine has to go to family or charity...

Q-6