Late 2009 Mini: Max resolution over Displayport

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mattspace, Mar 5, 2016.

1. mattspace macrumors 6502

mattspace

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble finding an answer to this:

Does anyone know if the late 2009 mini with 9400m 256mb graphics can drive a standard 2560x1440 monitor resolution over (mini)displayport, without messing around with adapters?

I used to drive twin 1920x1200 monitors off it, but want to hand the machine on to someone else, who needs to choose a monitor for it. Dell do a 2560x1440 24" screen with displayport which looks like a good option for them.

thanks,

2. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Actually, Apple does still have support info for this model; here's a link to the tech specs page for the late 2009 Mini:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP577?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The page does indicate that the mini displayport can handle a resolution of 2560x1600:

3. mattspace thread starter macrumors 6502

mattspace

yeah, that's stating with an adapter though - what I'm specifically concerned with is can you get that resolution with a straight miniDP to DP cable connection.

4. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Hmm. I would guess that since Displayport supports that resolution, and Mini Displayport supports that resolution, and the 2009 Mac Mini supports that resolution, that the resolution would be supported; but yeah, I've never personally driven that particular resolution of display on that particular port from that particular Mini myself, so I can't say for absolute certain that it would work. :)