Late 2010 13" Reports larger Hard Disk than it has

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by scottrichardson, Sep 29, 2012.

1. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my 2010 Mac Book Air 13" 2.13Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 256GB SSD. Running 10.8.2.

The finder is reporting that I have 250GB remaining on my disk, and that I have used 20GB of storage (total 270GB), even though I actually have about 160GB of files on my 256GB SSD.

Any ideas.

Scottie

2. scottrichardson thread starter macrumors 6502

Err, things just took a turn for the stranger... I now have this dialog. Never _ever_ seen this before.

Attached Files:

3. scottrichardson thread starter macrumors 6502

ergh, and I have a process called mds which is chewing all of my CPU and making my mac run super slow!

Could this be time machine related? Or perhaps the fact that I auto mount my NAS (Drobo) on startup?

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Mds is Spotlight. Has to do with indexing the drives. Its best to leave the machine powered up and awake until its completed. Then subsequent indexing will go much quicker.

For the hard drive size discrepancies, make sure you have a good backup performed. Then you might consider repartitioning and restoring the drive. If it shows these issues after that it could be the drive is failing. Do you have Applecare?