Late 2010 15" MBP, Samsung 240 battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BAC5.2, Apr 5, 2013.

1. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

I bought a 256gb Samsung 240 on Black Friday to replace the Momentus XT I had been running for 2 years.

I noticed, however, that the battery life with my SSD is pretty abysmal. I'm getting 2-3 hours MAX, even when the computer is sitting idle. With the Seagate drive, I could at least get ~5hrs or so.

Am I missing some fundamental setup step, or doing something wrong? Or am I just expecting too much?

2. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Wow that is weird, though I did hear that might be caused by a firmware issue. I get around 5 hours on ML on my XT and around 3 1/2 hours on Windows.

3. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I get 6 hours of battery life with my Samsung 840 SSD + 2010 MBP 15". I could get more if I do lighter stuff and screen brightness set to lower.

I'd suggest resetting PRAM and see if that helps.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues. Resetting it will not help.
    Only resetting the SMC addresses battery/power/charging issues.
    There shouldn't be that much difference between drives. There may be other factors that are contributing to the reduced battery life. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.