Late 2010 iMac HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by atanase, Aug 28, 2012.

1. atanase, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

atanase macrumors newbie

Hi all,

It has been a while since my last thread. My dilemma: looking to upgrade my HDD to a SSD and I'm having it done by a authorised Apple centre in Exeter, UK. I'm still debating if I should use the Crucial v4 SSD 256GB or the m4SSD. Of course the m4 is better at 6Gb/s but why do Crucial say that you should use the m4 for 2011+ machines?

Computer details: OSX v.10.7.4, 27" screen, 2.93GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD(to be replaced)

Many thanks and kind regards,

Adi

2. JootecFromMars macrumors member

Crucial recommend the v4 for computers with SATA I or II, or the m4 for computers with SATA III. SATA I has a bandwidth of 1.5 Gb/s, SATA II doubles that to 3Gb/s and SATA III to 6Gb/s.

Older computer's with SATA I or II (according to Crucial) won't see the benefit of the m4, hence they advise the v4.

Not sure what your model has but you can look at the 'Link Speed' under Serial-ATA in your 'System Information' found in 'About this Mac'. If your iMac has SATA III, I would immediately forget about the v4. There are of course other options and these can be found quite cheaply on Amazon. The Samsung 830 for example.

When you choose the SSD you need to make sure you can update the firmware from OS X and not just Windows. On that front you are ok with Crucial.

3. atanase thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the wakeup call! I just changed the order to a v4, makes more sense. It would have been nice to have the 512GB but not worth an extra £165.

Vendor: Intel
    Product: 5 Series Chipset
    Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Cheers!

Adi