Late 2010 MBA Airplay Mirroring

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Moccasin, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Has there been any word yet regarding whether the pre 2011 Macs will be able to support Airplay Mirroring in 10.8?

I heard this isn't currently supported and I need to consider whether to cut my losses with this machine and upgrade. Given that I could do with a desktop arrangement sometimes, my options are a bit limited without TB.

I'm thinking along the lines of getting a TB display but obviously can't use that with my 2010 machine and a cinema display will constrain my options in the future if I go for a Mac Mini or whatever.

Not ever being able to use ApM on this machine sort of increases the arguments for changing my machine (well in MY head anyway...).

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

From what I have heard the early MBA will not support Airplay mirroring. If you really want Airplay then it maybe best to upgrade your machine and get maybe a MBP. You will notice some improvements since the current machines come with the intel i processors as opposed to the C2D you have in your MBA.

3. mouthster macrumors regular

Dont know if this is what you are looking for but AirParrot works nicely for me when I want to display something from my 2010 Air to an AppleTV.

http://airparrot.com/

4. btdpi007 macrumors member

Hopefully, I understand your question and I'll offer this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I'll chime into the discussion. If you are asking about Airplay Mirroring (to an AppleTV) you may want to check out the software AirParrot (http://airparrot.com/).

I'm using the software with a 2009 iMac and a 2010 MBA and no issues Airplay Mirroring to my AppleTV.

Brandon

5. Moccasin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Ok thanks. will sit and wait a bit to see what happens. Not really interested in a MBP (as they exist now) as I want portability.

Will check out Air Parrot

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I see no reason why AirPlay Mirroring would not work on your 20120 MBA when ML comes out.

The only limitation I can foresee is machines without 802.11n would not be able to stream fast enough to provide a satisfactory refresh rate to the TV. Since I'm pretty sure all intel macs have had 802.11n, I don't think this is going to be an issue for anyone.

Airplay mirroring is not hardware intensive. It's a glorified VNC with less features. All computers than can run ML, should be able to use it.