Late 2010 MBA or the new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 3bs, Aug 29, 2011.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

My dad is considering getting a 13" MBA for web browsing, microsoft office, stock mac applications so he will be getting the base model. Should he get the newer one or a late 2010 model? The cheaper the better but will he notice a big difference in performance between the two? He won't be doing any photo or video editing.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The difference will not be "big" but it would probably be noticeable. Given that he isn't going to be doing anything that requires the latest and greatest anyways I don't think you'd lose too much with the 2010 model.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I considered the same options.

I opted for the 2011 option in the end.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The new one. Its got Lion. Grrrrrrrrowwlllll... :cool:

5. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Whitley Bay, North East UK (God's Country)
    if he has the money i would say new one. For people already with a 2010 model there is not much point but the backlit keyboard is also worth it

6. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

With those uses it pretty much comes down to if the backlit keyboard is worth the price difference between the two models. To be honest you won't notice the difference in speed unless you had both side by side or have used one for a while then switched to the other.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Don't you mean "roar?" :)

In fact lions, jaguars, tigers, and leopards are the only big cats that are able to roar. The rest can only growl.

8. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

:) Bloody hell... Did not know that...

I hope that the next Mac OS will be "Stochastic Calculus"... So, I can learn something about that too :)

9. keviikev macrumors member

:confused: 29USD

10. treynolds macrumors regular

treynolds

I have the 2010 13" Ultimate. Before I got me new corporate machine, a Dell M4600 Precision, I would have NEVER imagined that a backlit keyboard could be that be of a deal, but it's a great thing to have and works well on the Dell. I wish I had it on the Air.

If you have the choice between the 2010 and the 2011, go for the 2011.

Tony

----------

I taught my African Grey parrot to meow... Does that count?

11. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

From one coming from the 2010 no backlight to 2011 backlight keyboard, it is a great feature.

I guess it comes down to, is it worth $300 + for that feature. There are some amazing deals on the 2010 if you can find them. i.e. open box best buy, Amazon. Ebay.

12. scenemissing macrumors member

Only reason to go with the 2010 version would be if you had to/wanted to run 10.6. Otherwise get the new one, the difference in processor is significant, you get a backlit keyboard, and better resale value.

13. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I would say you got the re-sale value backwards. If they can pick up a 2010 for $750 as many have commented on doing. That resale value is going to be less of a drop then on a new $1200 dollar machine a year from now. They will still get an easy $500 a year or 2 later. It's going to be at least $300 + drop on the 2011 a year from now.

14. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Backlit keyboards are important in a lot of situations... You won't know it till it happens to you, and it will suck when it does.

And RAM. And a faster processor

15. Damian. macrumors regular

It comes down to these options:

The 2011 MBA
    - Intel core i5/i7 which is faster and future proof. (compared to C2D)
    - Backlit keyboard.

The 2010 MBA:
    - If you need Snow Leopard for (important) PowerPC software.
    - Low price.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I love it hear, especially when I learn new stuff. Thanks! :D

----------

It's not just the money, its the fact that its newer hardware and it was designed with Lion in mind.

If you already have a 2010 it may not be worth it to upgrade, but if you are buying new there is no point in buying a 2010 other than saving a few bucks. And from what I am seeing you are not saving THAT much. I guess it depends on whether saving those few dollars is worth it to you to run older hardware and an older OS.... :apple:

17. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Not snow leopards however. ;)

18. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Dont forget the thunderbolt port and the 4gb ram out of the box for the 128gb ssd models !

19. calvol macrumors 6502a

Unless you're processing video or crunching numbers, save $$ and go with the 2010-- runs cooler and has longer battery life.

20. PAC88, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

PAC88 macrumors 6502

I'm not gonna say one is better than the other.. depends on your needs

For me, it was not about money (didn't save much anyways). I actually waited till after the 2011's came out because I planned to get the new one but ended up disappointed with the changes.

So anyways.
    I bought a 2010 13" (1.86ghz/4gb/256ssd) a couple days after the 2011's came out and I like it a lot. Before the air, I used a 2010 15" high-res MBP and a core i3 Thinkpad. For what I do, the Air actually performs better because of the SSD. Even though the processor is older and "slower", it's not noticeable for anything I do.

I use it for business school and also do some light web design. For a lot of good reasons, I prefer the 2010 over the 2011. If you need extra power (HD video editing maybe?), then I guess the 2011 is better but if not then get the 2010 for sure.

Some good things about it:
    +Snow Leopard
    +USB installation drive (used it once already & would have smashed my computer having to download OSX)
    +Runs extremely cool (why get a warmer running computer if you're not using all the power?)
    +Better battery life
    +Better video card
    +I never use backlit keyboard, even when I have it. (that's one feature my dad loves but I could care less)

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

This is the right track.

If you can get a great (cheap) deal on a 2010 model go for it. You won't feel so bad when the 2012 model hits the street, and you want it.

----------

You made a good decision and with so many 2010's out there from all the 2011 upgraders, there are good deals to be had.

22. aa521490 macrumors regular

Spot on.

23. Grunch08 macrumors newbie

Same situation

Hi everyone...

I am selling my iPad because it does not suite my lifestyle and I really need a laptop back in my life.

Here's my stitch...I can afford about $1100, and was wondering if getting a 13" refurb MBA [4 gb RAM, 128 GB HD] (Oct 2010) might be a better idea than getting an 11" new MBA [4 GB RAM, 64 GB HD].

What's holding me back from getting the refurb is that I do use itunes and the app store, and I am eligible for the $100 back to school promo...

So basically, is the upgrade in HD size and monitor size along with keeping a USB port worth it compared to getting a "faster" model with thunderbolt?

I read the above comments and have not been swayed one way or another, and I would be really appreciative if anyone has feedback as to the differences in functionality of Lion on both as well as the 13" v the 11".

I intend to use this computer mostly as a supplement to my imac (i.e., e-mails, word documents, fast switching through multiple web tabs, and basic relatively low power apps like wunderlist, ical, rss reader).

Thanks!

24. halledise, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    they all fart the same.
    some may growl, but only Lion sucks, not to mention that you absolutely cannot use external media to reinstall the OS etc - you are slavishly tied to the internet for that purpose with all 2011 Airs - and I suspect with all future hardware refreshes to come. :D

kinda sucks if you don't have a great net connection (or any) with heaps of download allowance :(

so the OP would be better off with 2010 Air if that is a significant issue for him and hunt the refub store for one with 4gb of memory