Late 2010 MBA & OSX

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacUser09, Jul 28, 2012.

1. MacUser09 macrumors regular

I am selling my late 2010 MBA to a friend. I think that it originally came with Snow Leopard, but can't really remember, and cannot find the discs.

My question is: Can I just erase the HD, and install ML for her? Or is it necessary for me to find the original supplied discs, or order new ones from Apple, prior to any updating of OSX?

2. barredfreak macrumors 6502

If you have SL installed, you can't upgrade to ML. You need to upgrade to Lion, then to ML.

3. simsaladimbamba

The 2010 MBA did not come with grey Restore DVDs, it came with a white USB flash memory drive. Maybe it is still in your box.

If you created a bootable installer for Mountain Lion, you can do that, but know, that your friend has not purchased the license for Mountain Lion that way, as you bought ML.
    I don't know, what the best way to transfer licenses is, but as Apple does not follow this kind of things, you might be alright.

Yes, one can: http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/
    Lion is not needed, only 10.6.8 and the Mac App Store.

Btw, if one has a bootable ML installer, it does not matter what OS the Mac comes with, I could install ML on a 2007 iMac and also on an external USB HDD (to troubleshoot) for using it with other Macs.

4. MacUser09 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!!

Of course, you are right. I totally forgot about that flash key. :)

But, if I wanted to sell the MBA to her preloaded with ML, I need to create a "bootable installer"?
    As you state, there might be problems if it is licensed to me. I presume the only way around that, is to get her to download ML from her App store account.