Late 2010 MBA vs. 2013 MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by John25, Jun 24, 2013.

1. John25 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm considering upgrading my late 2010 base model 13" MBA for the 2013 MBA base model 13". Will there be a noticeable difference in speed from the Intel C2D to Haswell? Just wanting to get some advice to see if the upgrade would be worth it. Thanks.

2. GeekGuys macrumors regular

The key differences you will notice are

1. slightly faster 'hard drive' performance
    2. Haswell chip will be much faster over C2D for applications that require CPU tasks. Don't expect any difference for web browsing, typing in Word/Excel/Pages.
    3. Video card is much improved
    4. Quieter/less heat
    5. Backlit keyboard (why did Apple remove this???)

Depending on your tasks I would say yes, but if you are just surfing, typing, XL, the odd video then i would say no, not worth it.

3. razmanugget macrumors newbie

Also...

1. USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0
    2. Issues with 2010 sdram slot have been resolved (sort of)

4. cmanderson macrumors regular

cmanderson

I think you'll see a fair amount of increase in "smoothness" in general navigation of the OS compared to your current model. It will only get better with Mavericks in terms of smooth scrolling.

If you can swing a trip to an Apple Store or a Best Buy, I'd recommend doing so in order for you to compare for yourself.

I can say compared to my 2012 rMBP, I notice a definite decrease in performance for general OS navigation when stepping down to a 2010 MBP with C2D.