Late 2010 MBP i7 at Discount or wait for New MBP refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orangechef, Feb 20, 2011.

1. orangechef macrumors newbie

I have the opportunity to get a large discount on a current 15" 2.8 i7 MBP Hi-res
    the day the new refresh models arrive. Of course the problem is, would the discount outweigh the potential performance advantage of the new MBP's.

It is impossible to say until they are out but given the discount window of a day, what would you do?

Sandybridge apparently is a huge improvement, but at 25% off a "new" old MBP may be worth more?

I am a current dell XPS user, well versed in mac, power user, minor gaming etc..
    what would you do???

thanks..
    ..desperate for advice...

2. RokcetScientist macrumors newbie

3. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

25% off is no joke. The update has to be really significant to pass that up. As long as you get a full warranty i would seriously think of taking the i7. That system will be fine for many years.

Good luck.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I agree. As long as it's new and with full warranty get it. If the new one is that much better you can most likely sell the 2010 for a profit.

5. puttputt macrumors regular

25% off? Where?
    You are sure to be pleased with such a deal.

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

The Apple refurb site. On the store webpage about 3/4 the way down on the left.

7. puttputt macrumors regular

ahh.. refurb.

Some people love refurbs, but I'd rather get a "new" one.

I am waiting for the new specs, and will either get that or an i5.

Last time, I bought a brand new early '08 15" 2.4 for $1300 when the new ones came out. (from MacConnection).

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

A refurb is a new one. All my refurbs have been perfect at a fraction of the price.

9. orangechef thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, im glad to see most are on the "go for the Discounted MBP" I agree even if i want the new MBP's i should be able to sell and make a little or break even....

On the note above, it is NOT a refurb. It will be Brand new and full warr. lets call it a good deal... rare... but good hence i do not want to pass it up!;)

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

If your getting a good deal on a 15" i7 with the large resolution display I say get it and get it now. I wish I could afford a i5 but I got a good deal on a MBP last week so I went with it.

11. aCondor macrumors 6502

Sorry, I just bought it. Too good to pass up. Better luck next refresh sucker!

All kidding aside, it is a great deal. I would go for it. The spec boost for Sandy Bridge is not likely to be that significant.

12. aCondor macrumors 6502

A refurbished Mac is not "new." An Apple Certified Refurbished Mac is a pre-owned Apple computer that has undergone Apple's strict factory refurbishment process before being made available for resale.

They are usually excellent deals. They are almost always free of flaws. But they are not new, in any sense of the word.

13. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If you have to ask, and don't have specific needs that only the new machine can fulfill, go with the discount.

Money in your pocket now gives you an opportunity to trade up that much sooner in the future, and also the most flexibility. Look at your other gear, your phone, internet connection, software, etc etc and see if money spent there might get you better bang for your buck. The computer itself is sometimes not as important in overall productivity than those others items.

For example, I bought a refurb and plan on using the money saved to go for Aperture or Lightroom and finally dump iPhoto for good; it will speed my work up more than the processor upgrade would. But YMMV.

Rob

14. nygfan80 macrumors regular

I say go for it. Looks like a great machine. By saving $300, you can buy more RAM and possibly by a SSD. I know it's a tough decision. I have been wrangling with it for a while now. I am going to wait though and see what comes out soon.

15. molala macrumors 6502a

You might also get a big discount on the current model from resellers like Amazon when the new ones come out. I doubt you could do better than 25% though (unless they drop the price on the new models).

My last two Apple laptops have been previous models the week that the new ones came out, one from Amazon US and one from Apple UK refurb.

16. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I would also wait, the new base 15" model will be faster than the i7.