Late 2011 13" Macbook Pro SSD Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parmacrafter, Sep 11, 2012.

1. parmacrafter macrumors newbie

I am looking at buying a Samsung 830 256GB SSD for my stock Macbook Pro. I am in need of a little advice. I am currently running OS X Mountain Lion.

I would like to be able to simply install this new drive in place of my old one.

1. Can I use the migration assistant with my TimeMachine external drive to simply put everything on the new drive? Will I have to install the operating system first in order to do that?

2. Will I need any extra parts or cables to get this drive installed (It is a bare drive with no cables)

I guess what I am asking is what is the most simple/painless way to make my new drive exactly like my old drive without having to buy additional software.

2. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Your timemachine and migration assistant setup should work well.

As far as parts, you don't really need anything else, unless you don't have the correct screwdriver to open the casing of the computer.

3. parmacrafter thread starter macrumors newbie

I have all of the needed screwdrivers. I even have a complete extra set of screws in case I should happen to damage one. I was more concerned about needing a sata cable or something.

4. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I think the pins directly line up with the port on the motherboard. I'm not sure, as I haven't done it myself. There are also plenty of instructional videos on YouTube, which are good reference.

5. Gorge macrumors newbie

Where did you buy the screws?

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This task is super simple.

You don't need any cables or adapters to swap the hdd for an SSD.

7. parmacrafter thread starter macrumors newbie

When I upgraded my ram a few months ago one of my case screws was stripped and would not come out. So I took it into my local apple store and they not only removed the bad screw for me but also gave me a complete set of case screws (minus the one they used) just in case I ran into the issue again.