Late 2011 15'' Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drelton, May 9, 2014.

1. drelton, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

drelton macrumors newbie

May 9, 2014
    Hi everybody,

I've been wanting to buy a 15'' Macbook Pro for the last month. I will use it mainly for music production and everyday casual stuff, so I decided the Retinas are not for me (due to pricing, hazards of it being damaged and no upgradeability).

I just spot a very tempting offer online to buy a late 2011 MP that is practically new (1 month of use, 10 battery cycles). It would cost 1,300US, though I'll try to down-price it to 1,260US. Please keep in mind that I'm not in the US, so due to taxes, Macbooks here are always a little bit more expensive.

Its specs are:
    500GB HDD
    Quadcore i7 2.2 ghz
    3.3 Turboboost
    2 graphic cards (intel HD 3000 512MB and AMD Radeon 6750 m 512MB, etc.

I wanted to get advice if this is a good deal, or should I wait for a 2012 Macbook Pro, which might be just marginally better for my intended use.

Thank you!
  2. FuNGi macrumors 65816

Feb 26, 2010
    In short, No.

Radeon Gate makes this unit more likely to fail in 1 month or 1 year. Who knows.

Also, how could such an old computer be just 1 month old chap? Was it sitting on a shelf as forgotten inventory all these years?

Spring for a more recent MBA is my suggestion.
  3. drelton thread starter macrumors newbie

May 9, 2014
    Thanks FuNGi. I will research the Radeon Gate issue, didn't know that it was a problem.

I should clarify a couple of things though.

1. According to the seller it was bought for work at a production company that broke apart. This same seller has top rates by selling other Apple equipment at low prices, and all his customer reviews are positive. I shall try the MBP this weekend and confirm that it has a battery life of 10 cycles, which is coherent to what he says about 1 month of use.

2. I'm not not very convinced about the MBA because it is not user upgradeable, the screen is too small and I need to have a reliable machine for at least the next 5 years. I like the idea of not having to carry so much weight on my back though!
  4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

May 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    FuNGI has a point. The GPU failed on my late-2011 last week without any warning. Until Apple fix the underlying issue and institute a recall it's a very risky buy secondhand.

Shame really, it's a brilliant machine and perfect for my needs. It's one of the last powerful and upgradeable MacBooks with a full complement of ports.

See if you can find a 2012 MBP with the nVidia 650 GPU. No history of GPU problems with them as yet.