Late 2011 15" MBP Crash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Interstella5555, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hi all, I have a late 2011 15" MPB (upgraded from early 2006) which has been treating me fine for the last year. Last night I was trying to watch something on my TV with the MBP connected by HDMI. The audio was acting a little wonky, so I decided to do a quick restart...which apparently didn't work out to well.

I would get to the boot screen and then a status bar would appear, getting to about 25% "done" (for whatever it was doing) and then the computer would turn off. I did a hardware test, everything passed, and finally got it into recovery mode. Verifying the disc failed, as did an attempted repair of permissions and the only option for me was an erase and restore. After chugging alone for the night it appears to be working this morning (had to run out the door for work, will check more when I get home) and my main question is...well, beyond what the hell happened, if the hardware test shows everything as good, should I still be concerned about hardware failure or can I chalk this up to randomness and check everything out and just go from there? Thanks, just don't usually have problems with my machines and this one was a doozy for me.

2. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

The progress bar was probably an update. As of the audio concern, it might be your adapter. Other than that, you should be good.

3. Interstella5555 thread starter macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Thank you for the response. That's what I thought at first for the progress bar, could it have failed midway and borked my startup disc? For the audio I've had some minor problems before, like starting the video before hooking up to my TV or it just not switching over to the HDMI output correctly, and honestly am not as concerned as having to completely restore the system.

4. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Probably not. Sometime these are really small updates, they do get to 100%, you just don't see it. Otherwise, you would have had an error message. And you already tested your drive, so that took care of it. Have a backup either way, better safe than sorry.