Late 2011 17" MBP "Graphics Issue" Repair Report

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bazzy, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

I recently sought help here regarding the dreaded Graphics Chip Issues that cropped up on my Late 2011 17" 2.4Ghz MBP.

The good folks here gave me some sound advice & the consensus was to that it might be a better ti get a new laptop since Apple no longer has parts & any repairs would be both expensive & done with used/reconditioned parts in which the problem would most likely crop up again.

As I could not afford the latest high spec/high capacity Macbook Pros. I looked earnestly for possible repair solutions bearing in mind that it was most likely a lost cause.

I learned from here & other sources that things like Re-balling & Re-flowing are only a temporary solution & these will only lead to the problem happening again.

I am in the UK & found a number of independent repairers that offered to remove the faulty Chip & install a brand new, recently made Graphics Chip to deal with the problem.

There were a few of issues however:

1) The AMD HD6770M that was originally in my MBP is no longer available so it would be replaced with a HD6750M instead. This is the same as that used in the Early 2011 models & I was told that compatibility was not an issue & the performance between the two was marginal at best.

2) There are fake chips being peddled around the market by Chinese vendors so it is important that any repairer is aware of this & only uses genuine ones.

3) The new chip must be replaced with leaded solder as opposed to the unleaded one.

There were about a 8 repairers I found in the UK & prices varied from £90 - £170 with the shipping costs on top.

I eventually chose a repairer I felt comfortable with (not the cheapest of the options!) who also happened to be an Apple Certified Repair Technician with plenty of good feedback & customer satisfaction reports.

They did an evaluation & after confirming it was most definitely the Graphics Chip fault, did the repair within 7 days.

I got the MBP back yesterday & have left it running for most of the time since using graphics stuff like Sketch Up, watching movies etc & it seems rock solid. I hope it lasts but time will tell.

Many of these repairers will offer a warranty for Graphics Chip replacement - usually between 3 to 6 months with the latter being usual. My repairer offered to upgrade their warranty to 12 months for an additional £29 which I opted for.

I rarely ever contribute over here to help folks as as I am very limited on technical stuff so am usually the one to be seeking help but wanted to take this opportunity to inform & possibly help others for a change who might be having the Graphics Issue on the 2011 MBPs as this seems to be a very common issue!

With all the shipping costs & upgraded warranty, the total cost to me was £230:00 which was a heck of a lot cheaper than spending thousands on a new laptop. This repair will also allow me to have my machine back in working order & allow me to save up for a new machine in the future without immediately having to borrow large amounts of money or take out a loan etc.

I have seen that there seems to be repairers that offer this service across Europe, USA & other places so there might be some near you. Just be sure they have a good, solid reputation & that they use genuine chips & hopefully it should work out well.

Hope the above might help some people!

Bazzy!

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 19.49.46.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 19.02.53.png

2. robvas macrumors 68020

I would have sold a 2011 before the extended repair period was over and bought a 2012+ :D

3. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

If only I had such foresight & wisdom!! Tbh, my Late 2011 MBP was a direct replacement by Apple for a Early 2011 model that also suffered the issue. I think I was led to believe at the time that some Late 2011 models no longer suffered this problem & the fact that since I got it in April 2012, never once did my machine ever exhibit any graphics issues of any kind at any time. This sort of reinforced that belief in me at the time!

It was only last month after 5 years of rock solid stability did this ugly issue raise it's head & just a few months after the extended repair programme had expired - talk about bad bleeding luck!

Better research needed on my part for the next time!

Bazzy!

4. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

I had my early 2011 MBP reballed more than two years ago and it's still running. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

I know what you mean about the prices. I upgraded to an SSD quite a while ago and so I am happy with my machine. Plan on keeping it until it dies a slow horrible death.