Late 2011 (2.4) for 1600?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpiderDude, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

It is two months old, it's used.
    I know the new ones are coming, but for this price, i doubt they'll be packing any punch that even compares to this one.
    So, should I wait, say "uhh, these new ones are really neato, too bad they're expensive as hell", or should i go for this one?

It's the latest 2011 i7 2.4 GHz model, you guys know it, no need for me to put the details, and it is a 600 buck saving opportunity.

thanks

you're friendly neighbor
    SpiderDude

2. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Is it a 15 or a 17? Either way I'd say it's a good deal.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If it is actually a $600 saving and only 2 months old, I'd say jump at the opportunity regardless of whether you want the machine or not. You could even use it until new ones are released and probably still sell it for a profit.

4. Tatonnement macrumors newbie

It is a 15 or 17? If it is a 15, low-end or high-end?

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

He said it's a 2.4 GHz machine, it would cost him 1600 and he says he's saving $600. So obviously this is the high-end 15'' model.

I have two view points:

1) This is a good deal, big saving for a powerful machine.

2) The low end 15'' costs just $1800, but you might have to factor in taxes. It's quite possible that the next generation 15'' MBP will also start at $1800, and will nevertheless be more powerful than the current high-end $15'' model.
    So you're paying $1600 now for a used machine as opposed to $1800 in a few month for a new, more powerful machine.

2) of course heavily depends on how the new MBPs work out.

6. SpiderDude thread starter macrumors regular

SpiderDude

It is the high end one.

thundersteele, that second point of yours is the only thing making me indecisive.
    The Ivy Bridge speed bump will be enough to make the future low end 15 faster than the current high end 15, right?

But on the other hand, I highly doubt that the price will be kept if there's a major redesign.

However, it is hard to believe that Apple will completely drop the disk drives from their portable line.
    How about the pro consumers?

Most likely, two lines will be kept right?
    And the speed bump on the new slightly redesigned low end 15 inch Pros will be enough to justify the extra 200$ right? Not to mention the GPU improvement as well (I hope).

anyway

thanks to all

7. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

As far as prices and performance gains all we can do is speculate. It is believed however that Ivy bridge will be in the next edition and Ivy bridges GPU (intel hd 4000) is said to be 30-50% better than the current 3000 version. I doubt that Apple will raise their prices, Im also doubtful that the performances will increase much, they will increase Im sure but how much, probably not super duper. Sounds like you can make a nice deal, Wether the new low end will match the late '11 highend is impossible to say... I would probably wait for the new release. There is something special with getting something right out of the box and I believe that the newer version of a product the longer it will suffice. Undoubtedly your used option will suffice for quite a while too.

Also it boils down to what you will use it for. I plan to play games, not alot but some and I want a Mbp that lasts for as long as possible with future games. Wether the coming low end GPU will beat the 6770 1GB I cannot say, but it will sure beat the 6750 Im certain.

Nevertheless, 600 dollars discount for a machine that new, taking apples high second hand value into account it sounds like a great deal. The only thing causing you to think twice is the release being around the corner.

8. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

if the specs meet your needs and the price is right, jump on it.... don't worry about the future..... just make sure it has what you need (standard/highres, glossy/antiglare) - those things you don't want to have any regrets over..

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, I can not look into the future.

Personally, I don't expect a big change in the overall pricing scheme.

Ivy Bridge should be fast enough such that the base model is as fast or faster than the current high-end model. In addition, it should use less power. The GPU is less clear - in the past Apple had low end 15'' MBPs without discrete graphics, or with a GPU that is much weaker compared to the high-end (e.g. the early 2011 model with an ATI 6490m vs. 6750m).

Skipping a good deal now for a better deal that might come up in future... you have to decide ;)