Late 2011 Macbook pro 13" i5 Not Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Visionblue, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Visionblue macrumors member

My macbook pro 2011 recently stopped charging. I reset the smc and nvram and when that was unsuccessful, I replaced the mag safe DC in board. It charged for about a week like normal and now it's back to not charging. I'm at my witts end with it. The plug goes light green unless I plug in my other Macbook first and then plug the mag safe into this mbp in which case it takes the orange glow for about 5 min but doesn't charge. I've tried several mag safe adapters and the resaults are always the same. The battery reads as working. Should I buy a new logic board or scrap the whole computer and start over?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

We need more information about your battery.
    Are you sure the battery is good?
    If you look at System Information/Power:
    What is the Full Charge Capacity, and what is listed for Cycle Count?

3. Visionblue thread starter macrumors member

I can't check the battery cycles because the computer is dead. But when I checked the battery status it was normal.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The battery is getting old and is a consumable, worth changing that next. Even fully working charging components can be fooled by a failing battery.

You have tried several magsafe adapters, you have tried two magsafe boards, next is either the battery or the logic board BUT primarily the battery IMHO.

5. Visionblue thread starter macrumors member

I replaced the battery today and reset the SMC. No luck.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you have already replaced both the magsafe connector, tried other power adapters, and now tried a different battery - and you get nothing, then there's just one more possibility. The internal power circuits are part of the logic board, so replacing the logic board is your fix.

Unfortunately, you already tried the more likely, and less expensive fixes, so you can now look forward to that more expensive fix.
    It's all that remains.

Is the battery connector on the logic board clean, and undamaged?

7. Visionblue thread starter macrumors member

I believe so. Is there something I should be looking for in particular on the connectors to ensure a clean connection?

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Clean - no corrosion or crud, no damage.
    Corrosion might be in the form of a white or green powdery area on the connectors. But, clean, is - well - clean. Bright metal connection, no obvious dirt or staining.
    And, not damaged. If the connector is a line of contacts, those contacts will likely be in a straight line, no contacts visibly out of line. I see this occasionally on the magsafe connectors.

Anyway, a physical connector problem will look - different, doubtful to your eye.

If you are asking after looking at the connector, then you likely don't have a problem with that. And, the logic board is likely your fix. And, then you have to decide if it is worth fixing.

9. prietito1 macrumors newbie

Charging Issue

Hello,

I am having trouble with charging my MacBook pro and I hope someone will be able to clear up for me why it is giving me charging issue.
    Soon after my MacBook stopped charging I noticed the wiring on the AC adaptor was exposed so I replaced the AC adaptor.
    I took off the back cover, removed the battery connector - connecting the battery to the logic board - and plugged in the AC adaptor. I don't know why but it started to charge. The AC adaptor light lit green and then I plugged the battery connector back in and the light went to orange and it booted up to the login screen.
    My MacBook will charge but I have to go through this process in order to get it charging and I would rather just connect the AC adaptor to the magsafe port.
    Can anyone help me with this please?