Late 2011 Macbook pro Revamp (SSD+HDD+RAM upgrades)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fbonatto, Nov 29, 2014.

  1. fbonatto macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2013
    Hi guys,

    Here are the specs of my current machine:
    Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
    750 GB SATA Disk

    I frequently use a 1.5tb external drive with photos for Lightroom, with the actual libraries on my local drive.

    The computer is showing its age with big files that I need to use regularly.

    I'd like to upgrade both the RAM, and curent drive with OWC's SSD's and RAM, and stick an SSHD in a data doubler to replace the optical drive which sees about 0 uses per month.

    My question is, running a large ssd, something like a 480gb, with an SSHD as a second drive (or even just a 1.5hdd), with photos and music stored on the second drive, and 16gb ram, does this sound like a sensible upgrade or am I looking at any issues with the two different drives interfacing? Also worried about battery life being run down with the two drives, any thoughts?

    Thank you!


    This is what I'm considering.


    At this price though, with a couple extra hundred I can get a nice refurbed macbook air too...
  2. fbonatto thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2013
  3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    Not worth upgrading. Since you've a 2.4GHz i7, which makes it a late-2011 15" MBP, you also have a Radeon GPU, and your model will succumb to Radeongate.

    Sell it off while you can and save up for a new rMBP.
  4. fbonatto thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2013
    Thanks, motherboard has just recently been replaced and computer is under 2 year repair warranty in the EU. I'm keeping this U$3000 machine for a few more years.
  5. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

    Apr 22, 2008
    Yes, it's defintely not worth it. I just had 3 logic boards replaced on my early 2011 MacBook pro 15" 2.2 and all of them failed within weeks. After the 3rd repair it failed again and after the hassle of back and forth to the Apple Store the genius supervisor replaced my MacBook pro with the all new 15" mid 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz and a whopping 1TB pcie SSD. I am so happy now. :):)
  6. fbonatto thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2013
    Alright, well I've had no issues with the computer and it's been some 6 months since the logic board replacement. I've found a similar upgrade on amazon, using crucial memory and the MX100 ssd 500gb for about US350, in which case I'd be skipping a secondary HD in the machine.
  7. jorgk macrumors member


    Mar 20, 2013
    Are you sure it's 2 years? Just had a swap of the LB (same reason, radeongate) and at the service provider they claim warranty on this exchanged part is 3 months (Germany).

    Anyways, I think the most important upgrade is an SSD. Do that first and see how the machine will do for your requirements.

    And if radeongate comes again, just let it repair elsewhere. I have read of services exchanging to a new dGPU for around € 170 and doing the soldering not-lead-free which should make it to last.

    Still worth it for that machine !
  8. fbonatto thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2013
    Thanks Jorgk. Repair was done in Denmark, according to service provider it's two years afforded by Danish law.

    The reason I'd want to up the Ram is that, in normal use, with memoryclean monitoring my usage, I'm frequently at or below 1gb available ram.
  9. Naimfan Suspended


    Jan 15, 2003
    Worth it because of the warranty, but I'd think you do a lot better price-wise on Amazon or elsewhere.

    A Samsung Evo 500 GB SSD is about $220, and 16 GB RAM from Crucial is around $140.
  10. fbonatto thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2013
    Between the EVO 840 and the Crucial MX100, any important considerations? Otherwise I'm tempted to go with the Crucial for the same price and 12 extra gb
  11. Weaselboy Moderator


    Staff Member

    Jan 23, 2005
    Nah.. they are very close in speeds and you will never notice the difference. Just get whichever is cheapest.

    Also, don't buy your RAM from OWC. Way overpriced.
  12. fbonatto thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 16, 2013
    Thanks, can get a 512gb SSD and 16gb ram from crucial on Amazon for $350ish
  13. Romanesq macrumors 6502a


    Jun 16, 2003
    Always listen...

    to the Weaselboy strumming air guitar.

    Your machine is good to go. If you have no hardware parts at risk, go on and get the SSD Samsung EVO and solid RAM and you will be very pleased with what feels like a new machine. (You may wish to wait on the RAM upgrade thought. Do the SSD first.)

    It will be that fast! :cool:
  14. MyRomeo macrumors 6502


    Jul 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I've recently upgraded my late 2011 13" MBP to a similar spec to what you list, mine is the 2.4ghz i5 version and I've popped in 16gb RAM, 256gb crucial MX100 SSD (in optical bay via eBay adaptor) and stock 500gb HDD in its original place. I've installed Yosemite and my programs on the SSD and moved my home directory to the HDD and I am extremely pleased with the performance, much better than standard!

    I also use lightroom and find having the library on the SSD and the media files on the HDD works superb, its all very fast and smooth so I would imagine on your i7 machine it would only be better again.

    Go for it but don't feel the need to pay the OWC prices. I got my kit 3rd party in the UK and it was a fraction of the price, all in under £200!

Share This Page