Late-2011 MacBook Pro vs. Mac Pro vs. iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sawtooth811, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

First off, I want to say that I am a Mac user who deals with graphic-intesive, as well as CPU-intensive tasks, such as movie making, music producing, as well as gaming/hardcore emulation/testing.

Just what my signature says (but with less detail): I have a Late-2011 15.4" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Quad-Core i7 with 8GB RAM and a 500GB hybrid drive, as well as an AMD Radeon 6750M GPU.

Now, I've actually been hitting this 6750M really hard, and pushing it to its limits with quite a few powerful tasks, lately. On the other hand, the highest I have ever hit in overall CPU usage was just under 35%, which means my Core i7 was able to handle just about anything I could throw at it.

I have been thinking about this for the past few weeks, now. I was considering about flipping my MBP for this first 8-core Mac Pro + the first 11" MacBook Air, since the MP tower still seems to be significantly faster than my MBP in benchmarking. I was also considering going back to the iMac like I did almost a decade ago, but it's not as upgradeable. I was very disappointed at the MP's RAM speed in comparison with my MBP, but everything else blows my MBP out the water.

What do you think should I do? Sorry about the long post.

2. Sawtooth811 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

3. Sawtooth811 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

I decided to buy an 8-core Mac Pro w/11-inch C2D MacBook Air.