Late 2011 MacBook Pro - What's it worth?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrf097, Jun 25, 2014.

1. chrf097, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm thinking about maybe selling my MacBook Pro that I currently have and putting the funds towards a new rMBP (the $1500 13-inch rMBP is the one I am eyeing) but I wanted to see what my trade in value is before I decide to sell it, to make sure I'd be asking/getting a fair price.

As far as the tech specs, the computer is ~3 years old (Manufactured in October 2011 according to Battery Health, and it was bought in December of 2011 brand-new from Apple). It's the entry level model, with these specs:

2.4GHz Intel Core i5-2435M (dual core)
    8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM @1066 MHz
    Original 500GB SATA @ 5400RPM
    Original Optical Superdrive
    Original Battery (91% health/5192 of the original 5770/949 cycles)
    OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), originally shipped with Lion

The original fan had failed, but it was replaced with a new one at the Apple Store by an Apple Store employee.
    All ports work as well. The original charger has some tears but I bought a second charger to replace it that works just fine.

As far as the actual computer, I'd say it's in fair shape. The only two major things about it are that one of the little black feet on the bottom is missing and that there's a small dent on the top of the lid, other than that the computer has the basic wear and tear. There isn't any MAJOR damage (i.e. trackpad is in perfect condition, screen has no scratches, no hinge damage) and all the hardware works fine. No issues with the computer at all.

Here are some pictures I've taken of the computer so the body can be assessed. Both Apple's recycle program and Gazelle said my computer was worth around ~$350 but I feel like I could easily get more out of it.

So, MR, What's my computer worth?

Also, what is the best route for selling a Mac? I was thinking I'd either try eBay or the MR Forums.

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I sold the same model with 8GB RAM and a 250GB Samsung EVO SSD. It was in great condition (no dents or missing parts), but had a bad front USB port. Sold on eBay for $560.

Do bear in mind, MR members will more than likely offer less. If you can sell it through Craigslist, that's the best option as out of that $560, I probably lost at least $60 in fees.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I would say Craigslist would probably get you 450-550 depending on how well your ad is laid out. Take a bunch of pictures and make your description appealing. People don't think it makes a difference, but buyers will feel better paying more from someone who has a professional, well spoken ad with photos and a good description. Ebay is another option but once you square away the fees and shipping, you may come out ahead on CL even charging less than you would on Ebay.