Late 2011 MBP 10.6 Airport Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by straitline, Jun 26, 2012.

1. straitline macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I recently purchased a refurbed Late 2011 2.4 17" MBP and went through the process detailed on MR forums and elsewhere to run 10.6 on it.

While running 10.6 it seems that the Airport connectivity is a little spotty. It is most noticeable when transmitting iTunes through my Airport Express to local speakers. There will be brief 1-5 second drops in the music sporadically and occasionally it will drop the wireless connection all together, the easiest remedy for this seemed to be turning off Airport and then turning it back on to regain the connection.

This behavior is likewise replicated when using Airfoil to transmit sources other then iTunes.

I restored my machine to 10.7 yesterday and it hasn't demonstrated this behavior yet in testing. Which isn't to say that it won't, because it was sporadic in nature, but no sign yet in a couple of hours of testing.

Also, my old MBP (which I still have) doesn't display any of this behavior, so I am confident that it isn't the router.

I am not interested in having a 10.6 vs 10.7 debate. I recognize the fact that I am using unsupported OS on this machine and that could be causing the issue. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with this situation and a possible fix.

Thanks!

2. Mojo1, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I had the same problem a long time ago but I neglected to save any notes about how I solved the problem...

However, I recall that when I did the following the problem was fixed:

Open Airport Utility.
    Select the base station.
    Click manual setup.
    Click wireless.
    Radio Mode: "Select 802.11g only."

Presumably the glitch is related to using the default setting "Select 802.11b/g." The problem probably showed up when I was running Leopard; I am currently using Snow Leopard. If you are using more recent Airport gear with 802.11n capability I suggest going with "Select 802.11n" and see what happens...

I also suggest using Google to search for a fix. That is how I found the answer to my problem, probably on the official Apple forum.

Good luck!