Late 2011 MBP 13' - Needs Memory upgrade but....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sids911, Jun 14, 2013.

1. sids911 macrumors newbie

So I have this Late 2011 Macbook Pro 13' Model with i5 Processor. This one came with 4 GB RAM onboard and it looks like simple things like two users logging in at the same time and running different browsers (Chrome and Safari) bogs this machine down.

I checked the Activity Monitor and the Page Outs are a lot constantly. Just with two users simultaneous logged in (only with one actively using the mac) and just running things like browsers and iPhoto and iTunes!

But obvious - I need more memory. I checked out OWC's memory and there are two options for me,
    1. Buy 4x2 = 8 GB (I will have to replace 2x2 = 4GB RAM that the mac already has) = Making total RAM 8 GB
    2. Buy 8 GB Single slot and fill the other slot with 2 GB RAM module that I already have leftover. = Making total RAM 10 GB (and future upgrade option of 16 GB)

So - which one is recommended? 1 or 2 ?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

I would choose option 1. Less risk of weird memory incompatibilities with two different vendors of memory. Also, if there are any performance gains by having a matched pair, you'll get that too.

3. someguy50 macrumors newbie

2, without a doubt. If there are any issues running two unmatched sticks (unlikely), just pull the 2GB out and run with a single 8GB. Matched pair (dual channel) benefit is not significant, anyway.

Easy upgrade to 16 when you're ready.

4. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Agreed. You'll probably want to go to 16GB eventually so why have to toss two 4GB modules? The trade in value of them is minimal.

5. sids911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I run with one memory slot empty??? OR do I need to fill it up with a dummy? (Where can I buy that dummy if required?)

6. someguy50 macrumors newbie

Yes, you can run with one empty

7. sids911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great!

Thanks everyone. I am going with 2nd option. Will order one slot 8GB stick and will run it with one of my leftover 2 GB stick. If I face issues, I'll just order another 8 GB stick :). BTW I will order from Crucial.com, there is about 10 USD difference between their same capacity memories which I don't understand why.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Mod, please close this thread.